Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @schnapps

Hi Casey

I am glad that you are getting the feel for vinyl, something that digital recordings, now matter how detailed, could ever reproduce.

To get the best out of vinyl you need a good system, not an expensive one, tailored to your own tastes and a dedication verging on fanaticism to protect those delicate and easily damaged record groves.

Back in the day, when I bought a new album, I would immediately put it in an outer protective PVC sleeve and put the physical record itself into an inner sleeve, purchased from WH Smiths, so my records were doubly protected.

Another thing I used to do, to protect my albums, was to buy a new stylus (aka needle) for my cartridge every year, that way my records would not be damaged as my stylus became worn.

Finally, if you are starting out getting yourself a new Hi-Fi system then always trust your ears, and not what others want you to believe. So whenever you go to check out speakers, amplifiers and/or turntable cartridge combinations always bring a couple of albums that you know well and get the sales staff to play them on the equipment you are interested in, if they want your custom then they will play your records.

Happy listening.

Thorens Turntable.jpg

Hi-Fi System.jpg

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993

Nice to see some of the younger generation appreciating how good vinyl can sound with it's warm analogue signature compared to the cold sound of todays digital music.

I know Vinyl is quite trendy at the moment with the hipsters and also noticed my local Tesco's selling a few of the popular LP's back in the day.

Talking about cassettes any of our older members out there remember the huge "Ghetto Blasters" that people like the breakdancers etc used to carry around on their shoulders with the music blasting out.

Also, how personal portable technology as made music players so small and compact these days compared to the old personal cassette players.

Saying that i loved my Sony Walkman though it wasn't compact compared to the current crop of mp3 players i must admit it sounded fantastic playing cassette tapes.

ghetto-blaster_610x300.jpg

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @caseyb1993

Hi Schnapps & Casey

First, I must admit that I envy Casey starting out on her hi-fi journey, I wish that I could do it all again, unfortunately "doing Hi-Fi" properly, and not getting side tracked by hype and propaganda, requires a bit of research and trusting your ears.

And yes Schnapps, I remember those "Ghetto Blasters" but I never bought one, back in the day I saw playing cassette tapes as strictly secondary to vinyl and the only tapes I would buy and use for music were TDK Super Avlyn and Sony Ferrichrome, nothing else came close.

TDK Cassette Audio Tape.jpgSony FerriChrome Cassette Tape.jpg

I don't know if you remember this Schnapps but I have a distinct memory of  Polydor Records vinyl album pressing were "head and shoulders" in quality above any other UK record companies pressings, EMI's I remember were particularly bad, especially their album's inner grooves, i.e. the last two or three tracks.

However, vinyl records on a good system is still unbeatable.

UK Bob

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Howdy y'all,

Out of interest, did any of you cassette player owners ever buy one with Dolby S noise reduction? 

ukbobboy
Legend

@SeeMoreDigital

Hi SMD

I bought my SONY Stereo Cassette Deck (Model TC-137SD) in the second half of the 1970s and so it only had Dolby B, way before Dolby S was developed.

Sony Cassette Deck TC-137SD 03.jpg

Dolby S was introduced in 1989, long after my Hi-Fi kit had bit the dust.

Sorry I couldn't help.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital

My Denon DRS cassette deck only had the Dolby B & C noise reduction technology, which was fine for recording music to playback in the car.

For my home music listening it was mainly Vinyl or CD (if i was in a lazy mood using the remote from the sofa to jump tracks etc).

I did notice the Dolby S cassette decks in the HiFi magazines that i read at the time and what i could remember that Sony and Denon seemed to by pushing this newer Dolby noise reduction technology on their higher end equipment.

Reading the HiFi Mags i always drooled over the Nakamichi Dragon Cassette Decks which were way out of my price league at the time and i believe they still fetch serious money second hand. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993

The HiFi separates journey could be an expensive one where you always get the itch to upgrade to some component in your system seeking  sound perfection, where trust me there is no such thing.

I you are happy with the sound and enjoying the music from your current system then just stick with it, otherwise it's starts getting extremely expensive where you need deep pockets and sometimes spending more on a particular product doesn't mean you will hear an improvement or a sound signature that you like.

Like @ukbobboy said let your ears decide (a demonstration helps especially if the HiFi dealer will allow you to demo at home before purchase) and don't believe all the Hype in magazines or online reviews i have been caught in that trap many times.

To be honest when i was younger i lived close to a Train Station and looking back now i wished i took up Train Spotting where my only cost outlay was an anorak, note book, pencil, flask of tea / coffee and a sandwich box which would have been so much cheaper over the years Smiley Wink

general.jpg

BTW - Just kidding about the Train Spotting Hobby (I have no regrets about getting into the HiFi World) Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @caseyb1993

Hey Schnapps

You know, I almost agree with everything in your post except one thing, and it is when you said ".... where you always get the itch to upgrade to some component in your system seeking  sound perfection...." and this is why.

The whole Hi-Fi advertising industry is geared towards stroking our male egos, they have us reaching for that unreachable Nirvana of perfect sound, and so we foolishly spent our money trying to get to something that does not exist.

However, Casey, being a young lady, has no male ego to stroke and so should not fall into the trap of spending a fortune while continuously getting diminishing returns, plus she has us to advise her on the traps to avoid, coz' we fell in to them

Bear Trap.jpg

I believe that if Casey does a bit of research, to establish a base line budget, and use her ears as her guide, remember that woman can hear a wider frequency range than men, she should not go wrong and get caught the way we did.

And Casey

I wish you all the best in your Hi-Fi adventure and don't forget, should you need any help we are always here.

UK Bob

PS. Schnapps, train spotting????????????????    

Train Spotting.png

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Andy @SeeMoreDigital @4268

Guys

I was on YouTube last night and bounced across these speakers:

Fluance Fi70 Bluetooth Speaker.jpg

1) 3 Way 6 Driver Wireless Music System with Integrated Amplifier.

2) 3.5mm Auxiliary Audio Input; 2.1 A USB Charging Input, Optical (Digital Toslink), FM/AM Radio Tuner Antennas.

3) Tweeter - Dual 1 Inch Silk Soft Dome Neodymium Ferrofluid Cooled.

4) Mid-Range - Dual 5 inch Woven Glass Fiber Composite Drivers with Butyl Rubber Surrounds.

5) Woofer - Dual 8 inch Polymer Treated High Excursion with Butyl Rubber Surrounds.

6) Amp Power - 280 Watts Continuous Average Output (2x 140 watts).

7) Frequency Response - 30Hz - 20KHz

😎 29.5 x 11 x 23.2 inch (without stand)  and 29.5 x 11 x 36 inch (with stand)

This is truly MAN CAVE stuff, not sure if it's available in the UK but I want one.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Those speakers do look impressive on paper with a good frequency response down to 30hz, any idea on the price for a pair ?

If i was on premiership footballers salary i would be looking at a set of KEF Blades for music with 4 number SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers in each corner of my man cave cinema room Smiley Very Happy