Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268

Thankfully nothing like being attained at Her Majesty Pleasure or any Heath issues, just spending time with other interests outside the community forums.

Thanks for enquiring anyway, was keeping my eye on any future customers trials which i enjoy much more than the general discussions on the forums to be honest.

If any pop up in the future, would appreciate if somebody could send me a PM so i can put my name forward on the list.

Cheers.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps I meant in the services not locked up lol.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268

Sorry i totally misunderstood your post, didn't even think about the Armed Services (How embarrassing on my part) for some unknown reason i had HMPS in my head Smiley Happy.

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @4268 @SeeMoreDigital @Andy

Hi again guys

Well Schnapps

Picture discs, yes I also enjoyed looking at them but never bought any, I wish I had now, but I did buy some coloured discs, 12" 45rpms to be exact.  I had a green, blue, yellow and my most famous red 12" 45, "Strawberry Letters 23" by Brothers Johnson.  Anyone who knows that record will know that the artists never actually sang the title, they always sang "Strawberry Letters 22" instead, never found out why.

Hi SMD

You know, I fell out of love with 7" singles when I fell in love with Hi-Fi, simply because singles were not engineered, i.e. mixed, to sound good on a Hi-Fi system instead they were mixed to sound good primarily on the radio or on a portable radio with the battery running down.  That's why 45s sounded bright and loud, it had to catch the listeners attention within 2 or so minutes. 

However, 12" 45s were another story, they were mixed so that they could be heard on the dance floor and so the music enjoyed an extra "lift", i.e. all the instruments sounded sharper and the bass was "that much" deeper. 

Hi 4268

When I first read your post to Schnapps, I too thought you were asking if he had been a guest of HMPS, funny that.

Sansui 212 Turntable 01.jpg

My first Hi-Fi turntable, the Sansui 212.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

Strawberry Letters 23

Strawberry Letters 23 (12 inch 45 rpm).jpg

Believe it or not, this 12" 45 rpm disc is a good record that shows the spacial tones between instruments, depth of bass and 3D sound capabilities of a good Hi-Fi system.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

This is all alien to me! 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

Sorry Guys

I just could not restrain myself, the Sansui SR212 turntable is the best "sounding" budget Hi-Fi turntables I have ever come across, especially when paired with the brilliant Ortofon VMS 20E Mk2 Cartridge.

In fact, I will go as far to say that this turntable did not get the acknowledgement it deserved when it was around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJLf7jFBJlM

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

Hi Guys

Analogue cassette tapes.

Type 1 - Normal (Ferric) Tape - Mainly used for audio books and low quality music reproduction.

TDK D60 (Ferric Tape) 1979.jpg

Type 1 - Normal (Acoustic Dynamic) Tape - Mainly used for better quality music reproduction.

TDK C90 (Acoustic Dynamic Tape)02.jpg

Two of the four types of cassette tapes I used to regularly use back in the late 1970s to mid 80s.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

Type 2 - Super Avilyn Cassette Tape - Used for high quality audio reproduction.

TDK C90 (Super Avilyn Tape).jpg

One of the four kinds of tape I used to regularly use back in the day.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

Like you TDK was the cassette tape manufacturer that i tended to use back in the day.

Mainly used the cheaper D90 which did the job for me for tapping music for the car.

Still got my old Denon DRS610 front loading cassette player unplugged in the Home Cinema rack.

Went to Mini Disc later on (back then i was a sucker for new gadgets).

Do you remember the old Maxell Cassette Tape advert that was on the television back in the eighties i think if my memory serves me right. 

Video taken from YouTube website.

[video]