cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Old Equipment

Hi. This is my first post, so please be kind.

I've had now tv for some years now using a black box.

The remote control buttons are now failing, can I upgrade the equipment FOC or do I need to buy it all again, which is at the moment not an option for me.

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Unfortunately you will have to buy a replacement remote or another supported NOW playback device from the linked list below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now 

If money is tight and you own a smartphone or tablet then maybe use the free Roku App from your mobile Apps Store to act has a remote control for your NOW black box.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps 

Was about to suggest the app for the phone. Although my ignorance would the Roku remote app work for NOW devices?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

Yep the Roku App has a remote control feature that will operate either the NOW boxes or NOW Stick.

You need to ensure that your smartphone or tablet is on the same wifi network has your NOW Box or NOW Stick.

Should you use the Roku free App, then it's important not to factory reset your NOW box or NOW stick (otherwise you need a NOW suitable physical remote to setup the box or stick again).

Using a NOW Freeview Smart box you will need to use a WOL App together with the Roku App to wake the box from deep sleep hibernation (otherwise you will need to temporarily unplug the power to the box to initially wake up the box).

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I was afraid that would be the case. Thank you for the info and links
though.
Cheers x
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Amazon have a cracking deal at the moment under their Amazon Prime Day for either a Fire Stick Lite or Roku Express where both devices are currently under £20.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Now don’t even offer Sticks to buy any more, let alone for free 😢

While remote buttons do fail, have you checked the batteries are OK?

Or you can get a new remote for £6.99….

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-Remote-Control-Replacement-Black/dp/B076CMWD8Y/ref=sr_1_8?adgrpid=52627816065&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlMaGBhD3ARIsAPvWd6hrKd75X8yaYRu4Tt0exjL_ge5OPbDraalB53INKiwsz6HQ8MjbSsMaAqN7EALw_wcB&hvadid=259004851845&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006680&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18016638960545646602&hvtargid=kwd-316863807073&hydadcr=25725_1822245&keywords=now+tv+remote&qid=1624362484&sr=8-8

Though a modern-day Stick, as recommended by @schnapps will be much more satisfactory if you can run to it, as the black box is likely to be next to follow the white box into limbo, sometime in the future.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you, I bought the lite stick x