cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV on Linux

Hi there.  I've just signed up for NowTV and have an entertainment pass, to find that I can't use it on my PC.   I'm a long term user of Linux, who gave up on Windows about 14 years ago.  I'm currently running Linux Mint 17.3 and wanted to watch TV on my PC.  Why can't I?  Is there a solution?  Any ideas anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can't... which is why theres a free trial for content first... try before you pay... 14 days to test it out...

You can't view on linux as Linux never Supported Silverlight from Microsoft at all and Third party recodes do not support DRM changes Microsoft added to silverlights DRM... breaking the reverse engineered versions... 

Dispite the myth HTML5 would bring DRM GPU drivers to all browsers on all systems thats still a myth as it does not,

DRM on Linux Drivers Is NOT compliant with Windows Or Mac driver levels, So even HTML5 DRM is not going to be compliant... This is because ZERO day DRM levels for TV, FILMS and SPORT events that content providers add that matter are Higher requirement DRM levels than 3 year old movies which no body would pay for any more any way that are shown on Freeview channels IPTV...

Silverlight is still a requirement to watch 720p and Higher content protected with DRM ... 

Only when Safari and IE stop support for silverlight will HTML5 be used on all systems but don't expect HD with out DRM compliant drivers and Intell and AMD is not any were near ready on linux to supply the required drivers as linux is run on some very very old hardware....

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Pipelight should work, it works with Sky Go which also requires Silverlight.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipelight-use-silverlight-in-your-linux.html

It won't work with Google Chrome as it no longer supports NPAPI plugins but will work with Firefox. The following link has instructions in how to use Sky Go on linux, Now TV should work the same.

https://silicondales.com/tutorials/use-sky-go-silverlight-5-video-ubuntu-linux/

Anonymous User
Not applicable

this pipelight solution is 6 years out of date now, and certainly doesn't install on Linux Mint, fyi

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just tried using Pipelight and it failed, I get the same error as the poster on this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2312682

Anonymous User
Not applicable

RoyB
Legend

Why are you so balls-out to run NowTV on a ###### little laptop when for a net £5 (considering the included two month’s Entertainment Pass) you could be watching it on a NowTV Stick plugged into your huge TV screen?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB wrote:

Why are you so balls-out to run NowTV on a ###### little laptop when for a net £5 (considering the included two month’s Entertainment Pass) you could be watching it on a NowTV Stick plugged into your huge TV screen?

There's also no reason why a NowTV stick wouldn't work with a HDMI monitor. If you have one

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok. Problem solved: bye bye NOW.

I skip to Netflix, Prime Video, etc...

All these streaming platforms work with Linux.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You wouldn't think most of those skyboxes run on Linux the way those people are saying you need SilverLight for the encryption. Netflix has no issues, Neither the BBC or Hulu. But we know why Sky can't pull their thinger out of their ###### and use Generic encryption standard because on HTML5 apps you can't data mine as much as you can using MS SilverLight. million of steaming services don't need windows and are safe from hacking. Not like hacking SilverLight is that hard anyway, you just use a screen capture built into most GPU's apps. And then they wonder why people ripe the movies. Sit to Netflix you can watch that while working without being an MS ######! Good job the trail is free or I would consider suing for money back as it is advertised as a web streaming service which it's not because it is locked via an app and certain OS's applications. With HTML5 being so flexible the need to use an MS app to run is a sign they are weak.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

u can run a wine layer to do now tv...which is easy ..or for instance u could use a android emulation or andy which is a android layer on linux...if someoen would like a better solution

email me @ bluedreamz gmx com

Katie8944
Observer

They should have told me it wouldn't work on Linux before allowing me to sign up. This was a huge hassle for nothing and of course they make it difficult to cancel. Netflix and all the other services work fine on Linux so there really is no excuse for this. I'm very disappointed and will be advising all my friends not to bother with nowtv.com