cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV will not launch on Roku Express

Now tv has performed

an update on Roku Express but now the app won’t launch. I have switched off , rebooted , removed and added now tv , performed software update via secret menu but still Will not lunch. It also does not show on Home Screen. Roku simply beeps when I try and launch  app after from the install screen. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User NowTV have acknowledged the problem, and are working on a fix. In the meantime, if you do a software update on the affected device, if should roll back to a stable version.

Please let us know if it works.

View solution in original post

57 REPLIES 57
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you are using the older purple coloured Roku Stick model 3500, then at the moment there is no solution yet.

Where owners are awaiting an answer and hopefully a fix from NOW.

Are you using the older Roku purple Stick or another Roku model ? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you - not sure I will give them much longer - I may just cancel instead of paying for something that does not deliver.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Looking over on NOW Twitter in the last hour NOW have tweeted back to a couple of customers saying they are looking to push out a software patch fix in the next 24 hours.

Hopefully they will be good for their word and there is some light at the end of the tunnel for old purple Roku Stick owners.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

A week with no service is pretty appalling.  Do we know if they are going to offer refunds?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So I wanted to watch some Now (TV) app on my Roku and just like everyone else it doesn't work.

The app worked fine until the update (mine was updated/released on the 26th), now I get the dreaded "Sorry Now TV,... currently unavailable..." BS.

I have an Apple TV in the living room, that Now TV app (is absolutely awful but it) still works.

FYI don't think this is limited to a Roku Express, it's my Roku Soundbar that's having issues.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The Sorry NOWTV is currently unavailable is a different issue to the Roku owners that can't open the new NOW App where the App jumps back to the Roku home screen page immediately.

I think most Roku Streambar owners can run the new NOW App, where the CPU is one of the fastest processors that Roku use in their products.

I have no problems with my Roku Stick + and Roku Express (only the older purple Stick model 3500EU).

Are you using some sort of third party adblocking software on your Router such has Pi-Hole for example or using a BT Hub Router and haven't enabled file sharing in the BT Router settings ?

These seems to be the cause of this error message reported by forum members over a number of various supported playback platforms.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

See if anything in this linked thread below helps with your particular error message.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-Stick/Sorry-Now-TV-is-currently-unavailable/td-p/537921/page/5 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps thanks for your  prompt reply.

I am actually using a Pi-Hole on my network to stamp out unwanted tracking, I didn't even consider it until you mentioned it.

Going on what you said, I'd assume that if I temporarily disabled the Pi-Hole the connection would be restored.

This however raises some red flags on my part, why block the app if the tracking DNS can't be resolved? My account isn't being authenticated against these tracking servers.

Do I get the option to opt out of this tracking? My guess is they are for "legitimate interest" and to "improve the app", regardless users should be able to opt-out (even this forum displays the cookie popup).

Again, thanks for your help, I'll have a look at it in the morning and com back with my findings.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cancelled NOW subscription as there is little point in paying for something the family can't use.

Got a reply back from NOW saying they are looking int my account?  Replied asking why they think it is something to do with my account as I havent not suggested it is an account problem - It seems to me to be a stall tactic.

Tried again last night still not working and no updates available.

a

Anonymous User
Not applicable
There is no solution currently – the new Now app doesn’t work on at least some Roku devices, despite being advertised as available on all of them