Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Now TV to run ads on catch-up for first time”

“Now TV to run ads on catch-up for first time”

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/tv-run-ads-catch-up-first-time/1708665 

11 REPLIES 11
Saint1976
Elite 3

Ads were on the horizon the moment Comcast took over. It's part of their US model - free (with ads), premium (bigger library but with ads) and premium plus (no ads).

I won't be renewing Entertainment or Movies beyond the end of my current offers, ads or no ads. There's just nothing on offer I can't get on other services for half the price. I might dip in for a Sky Atlantic series occasionally but it will have to be an exceptional series to do it.

Splitting the cost of NowTV, Disney, Amazon and Netflix between 3 family members had kept the costs more than manageable but the continued fragmentation of services will only come back and bite them on the proverbial one way or the other.

Pirating is on the increase after several years of decline and some studios are now talking about combining services.

The problem with Sky/NowTV is they're normally so slow to the party that the other companies will have adapted quicker than them and get ahead....again.

starman73
Elite

Splitting the cost of NowTV, Disney, Amazon and Netflix between 3 family members had kept the costs more than manageable but the continued fragmentation of services will only come back and bite them on the proverbial one way or the other.

Pirating is on the increase after several years of decline and some studios are now talking about combining services.

I suspect that when HBO join the party in the UK, it will be a case of swapping in and out of the different services. Now TV/Sky had two big advantages.  The top TV series (GoT, Sopranos, Wire etc) and the majority of top movies.  These have both diminished considerably in the last year.  Netflix and Amazon have the bigger TV series and the better new movies are made by Netflix and Amazon.

Piracy will always increase when access cost increases, so no surprises there. Once people pay more than £10/month they start to look at alternatives.  The base price of Spotify, Deezer, Tidal et al is set at this level for that reason.