“Now TV to run ads on catch-up for first time”

“Now TV to run ads on catch-up for first time”

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/tv-run-ads-catch-up-first-time/1708665 

11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @dr_necessitor 

This NowTV Help Article below was added to the Help Centre on the NowTV website, when i typed in "Adverts" in the Help Centre search box.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-without-ads 

This will go down like a lead balloon in my opinion 😠.

Thankfully for me in my circumstances i always have a HD Boost Pass on my account.

@schnapps 

“Lead balloon” - agreed!

Same here re Boost, mainly for the full HD & 50fps on sport, but I suppose not seeing 3rd party ads will be an unexpected benefit of having Boost. Although I suspect many would regard the extra £3 per month, just to swerve ads, as a price increase.

So our behaviour will continue to be same as it is for Netflix et al - “subscribe for a month as and when when there’s enough content to justify paying”. Or, as I see it, NOT “paying month in month out whilst not watching much” (which I’m sure some people fall into the trap of doing)!

starman73
Elite

Reading the link https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-without-ads, it seems to imply advertisements during movies and TV series like Game of Thrones

third-party ads that we've started to introduce in some on-demand shows and movies on our Sky Cinema and Entertainment Passes

Surely that defeats the object of a streaming service!  It’s so perverse, that it looks like Sky/Now are encouraging people to get Disney Plus, Amazon and Netflix.  Even BritBox.  For the £25/month (£300/annum) to get Cinema/Entertainment/Boost , you could have all 4 other services and almost enough change to buy a fire stick to watch them all on!

Fortunately, I pretty much always have Boost for Sport, but it has definitely put me off getting Cinema & Entertainment during the summer.  Will activate my 3 month Entertainment pass whilst Boost pass is on until football season ends in late May.  Would activate Cinema pass as well, if there were any decent new movies this month.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@dr_necessitor @schnapps 

Wow, I think we can see what topic will be dominating this Forum for the months to come!!!!

So not only are vouchers and offers basically be phased out heading you down the full price or else route, but now adverts will be thrown in to the mix going forward......unless of course they head down the advertising route and in turn make the service free!!!!

It was interesting from that first article, from what I read, that the number of ads would be limited during the initial phase and only come before the catch-up show being watched.....but how would ads fit in going forward, just a block before the show or would they likely be added before and during???  Interesting to see how this develops going forward.

I've really enjoyed my years of Now TV Entertainment, but there might be some decisions to be made in the coming months.....keep going with it, try boost (which I've never done) or dump it???

@Anonymous User 

Yarp! People who’ve only seen NOWTV promos pre-roll to date and complain about that are going to “love” this development (I don’t think!)

Narp? I think more likely full price AND adverts is the way they will go. It’s all about the money (money) isn’t it?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@dr_necessitor 

I did miss out that option for myself (the feature that Now TV has) of dipping in and out when necessary, but I do tend to make very good use of Now TV and watch an unhealthy amount of TV so that would be tricky......I've never actually cancelled my Entertainment Pass in the 6 plus years I've been with it.....although that might be something to start playing with to possibly get an offer to stay????

@Anonymous User 

Yes that tactic seems to work for some folk (but not everybody from what I have read). We just cancel when we’ve watched what we wanted to and then go back to either Netflix or Amazon Prime to resume with whatever new has come along on their service. Continuous rotation!

The cost of having all these services “continuously & contiguously live” is starting to amount to £serious per month!

Interesting to also see how Disney is proposing to ramp up to charging a decent amount of wedge for the privilege of “enjoying another chance to see” loads of old content (eg “Lost”)...

starman73
Elite

The cost of having all these services “continuously & contiguously live” is starting to amount to £serious per month!

Stopped doing that ages ago.  If I didn’t have two 3 month entertainment vouchers and two 2 month cinema vouchers from sticks on my account, I think I would give Now TV a wide berth and just wait for the rights to lapse and watch it on Disney Plus.

I tend to keep Amazon regardless for all the benefits (£79/annum).  I got the annual Disney Plus for £60, but I suspect a year of it will be enough. Son shares Netflix with me.  So Now TV (and BritBox to a far lesser extent) are discretionary purchases.  I have it for Sports at present but not Entertainment/Cinema.  Couple of things I would like to watch on Entertainment, so will activate one of the passes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@dr_necessitor 

Yes, the excellent shop bought vouchers (that I've dined on for many years) are gone, but other offers are not gone as such, it's just seems from what we are all discovering they are much more difficult to find or be offered!!!!!  I think that I've still got shop bought vouchers that will keep me going until June, but then the hunt for an offer will begin!!!!

I can well imagine the cost of running multiple services is high and that's something I'd never do....I've only recently taken the plunge with Amazon Prime and that took a long period of thought before I did it, two services is enough.  I do sometimes miss when all we had to worry about was terrestrial TV on Freeview!!!!!!!!

I get the feeling going forward that Disney+ will start to get a lot of newer stuff, maybe even taking the rights to a lot of the new stuff that might have premiered on Sky/Now TV????  I do watch a lot on Now TV, but I think that might change going forward and that could have a lot to do with the home of Mickey Mouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!