Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Now TV adding Automatic Passes

@schnapps 

Hi Schnapps

Got a question for you.

These passes that Now TV automatically add to various customers accounts, that seem to cause them so many problems, under what circumstances are these passes offered and auto-added to customers' accounts?

I ask because it seems to me that customers are not given a chance to say whether they want the offer or not.  And whatever future plans they had for their account is left in disarray, the customers are then left confused and trying to sort stuff out.

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick, but what is going on?

UK Bob

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

I also raised a similar question to a senior NowTV Staff member about the ethics on these type of email offers that would be automatically applied to people's accounts if you don't cancel.

Thankfully i haven't received one of these email offers personally myself.

Though i have been told if you cancel your pass and wait the next day after the active pass is finished, you can then go ahead and apply your own sourced voucher code onto your account.

My concerns was duly noted by a NowTV Team staff member and left at that.

I don't know the reasoning or thinking behind these type of email offers, where you will need to ask the question directly to somebody who actually works for NowTV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy 

Not sure if you've had the pleasure of this, but I did get an offer added a couple of months back that was a bit of a surprise.

For years I've done my Two-Month Entertainment Gift Cards from Supermarkets for £10 (a nice £5 a month rate) and just kept adding one after another.....but couple of months back found I had a new offer waiting to start that was news to me??  I was going to get six months of entertainment for £4.99 a month.  I never received the offer email and it was really just by chance when in My Account I saw a new offer about to start..........I checked up with Live Chat (remember those guys) to confirm things and just decided to let it run as it was basically all the same monthly rate that I'm used to, BUT it does seem quite disconcerting that Now TV can do this.

Could Now TV decide to give me more 'special offers' across other Passes and just start them even if I've not wanted them??  In my five plus years with Now TV I've always had an active Entertainment Pass, so maybe Now TV wanting to give me an offer as some loyalty thing is OK, but on the other hand during those same five plus years I've never once done a Cinema Pass, so if Now TV decided at some point to drop an offer on to My Account in Cinema that I never asked for and I had to jump through hoops to query it and get it stopped, I would be bloomin' furious.

As you say, why do they do this? Should they really be doing it? especially as it seems to cause quite a few issues for folk..........let's just say that I now keep a much closer eye on what is happening within My Account.

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps  @Anonymous User 

Schnapps

TBH, I doubt of any member of the Now TV team would give a proper answer to questions about one of their secret (non-published) policies. 

Thom

Like you, I also keep my account well stocked with Entertainment Passes, i.e. well into next year, I too don't care for Cinema Passes and would also be upset if Now TV auto-started one without my expressed permission. 

Anyway guys, I'm guessing we're not going to get any kind of info on this "auto-starting passes" from Now TV this side of Corana, we'll just have to wait and see for now.

UK Bob 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have unwittingly fallen victim to this. I've got a two month Entertainment Gift card to add and NOW TV have added a "£4.99 for 6 months" offer automatically.

I was going to add the gift card today before it runs out and now it looks like wasted money. I was going to use it to hold out for a good deal at the beginning of the year and now that strategy is shot.

With the removal of the 2-for-1 gift cards and now this it looks like NOW TV want total control of their pricing system.

If I cancel the pass now and apply the gift card, will the offer interfere with my ability to get an offer in the new year?

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy @schnapps @Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

We Community Contributors have ways..... 😛

After a certain amount of toing and froing, we managed to get public confirmation from NowTV that these gift Special Offers do not restart ongoing subscriptions. Thus finally laying an oft-repeated canard to rest.

So if you got a free Cinema Pass, @Anonymous User , you need do nothing, except watch it if you choose to, or ignore it; either way, it will simply expire at the end of the month.

Your issue, @Anonymous User is a little more complex; but if you contact Live Chat, or email customerservices @ nowtv.com (without the spaces) than I am sure they can extend your Gift Card, or give you a replacement, that will not expire before the six-month offer has completed.

Beyond that, I am not sure why you think that you might be able to get an offer in the new year that you won’t be able to get in June next year, which your existing offer and Gift Card cover you until? Or indeed, why any offer you could have got would be compellingly cheaper, overall, than what you have just been given?

There is, though, one knotty problem we have seen, which is that if NowTV gift you a free month, and it is a month in which a particularly juicy user-chooseable optional Special Offer ceases, it can prevent you getting that offer. The answer is to get onto Live Chat, who can super-cancel the gift offer for you, though this really shouldn’t be necessary.

The obvious answer is that a NowTV gifted Special Offer shouldn’t be an auto-started pass, it should be a voucher code in an email with a short window of opportunity, so you can apply it or not, as you think fit.

Though even this would cause a raft of ‘I only just looked at my email, and found this offer that has already expired.......’ postings here 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.