cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chai
Scholar 3

Now TV account allowing you to add 6 devices

My Now TV account now allows me to add 6 devices.

This is great improvement, as I always thought 4 devices (with one swap a month) was hobbling the service somewhat.

29 REPLIES 29
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

My guess is when Now TV gets properly added to BT TV that is when they will bump it up to 1080p.

I personaly don't see Comcast not improving Now TV as they are pushing for streaming also.

I also read that Comcast have added Amazon Prime to the US "Sky" boxes, that would be a good addition if was here on Sky Q/ Now TV devices.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
lockmatt
Expert 2

lets hope once i rename my devices they stay renamed

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@lockmatt wrote:

lets hope once i rename my devices they stay renamed

Hi @lockmatt 

I think that bug was fixed ages ago

@chai  Seems some people are talking about sky X, particularly about it, eventually replacing NowTV, but I think what people need to remember about NowTV is that it is a no contract service. No contract services and free to air TV are much bigger in the UK than they are in a lot of other European countries. I think NowTV will continue to exist. For this reason. Because of the UK TV market. There always needs to be a cheap pay-TV option. This is why NowTV exists

Anyway, from what I've read about sky X, one of the options on it seems to be charging people a small fee per month to get access to channels that are meant to be free to air. I'm not entirely sure that practice would be legal here , especially in the case of the public service broadcast channels. Also, sky X looks to be quite expensive. From what I've read if you want pay-TV channels.   

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 wrote:

...from what I've read about sky X, one of the options on it seems to be charging people a small fee per month to get access to channels that are meant to be free to air. I'm not entirely sure that practice would be legal here , especially in the case of the public service broadcast channels. Also, sky X looks to be quite expensive. From what I've read if you want pay-TV channels.   

Virgin Media charge for access to FTA channels like BBC/ITV etc.   Only £5/month, but a charge nevertheless.  So it would be legal.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

...from what I've read about sky X, one of the options on it seems to be charging people a small fee per month to get access to channels that are meant to be free to air. I'm not entirely sure that practice would be legal here , especially in the case of the public service broadcast channels. Also, sky X looks to be quite expensive. From what I've read if you want pay-TV channels.   

Virgin Media charge for access to FTA channels like BBC/ITV etc.   Only £5/month, but a charge nevertheless.  So it would be legal.

Hi 

@Anonymous User actually 5 pounds of the virgin media TV subscription cost is for the set-top box so if you're only paying 5 pounds you're paying solely for the set-top box, not the channels. BT and talk talk do very much the same. It's unfortunate, but that's how they get away with charging you and no I don't agree with the practice.

Virgin media are  crafty in the sense that you can't access any channels on their system without their hardware and they charge you for the privilege of using that hardware 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 

Sky X is also contract free. It's effectively NowTV with some extras but still on a month-month basis.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@commanda6 

Sky X is also contract free. It's effectively NowTV with some extras but still on a month-month basis.

Hi @Anonymous User 

Yeah, you're right, it's no contract. It seems expensive compared to NowTV the because of how they are going to have the packages setup so I'm not sure this could replace NowTV in the UK, given what the U.K.'s TV entertainment  industry is like. There isn't a strong free to air presence in a lot of European countries. Unlike the UK

sky needs a cheap no contract pay-TV option in the UK, especially when you have the likes of TV player and talk talk to compete with. If I remember correctly, with talk talk. The £10 a month. You can get most of the main channels that sky provides on their basic package. I think NowTV is going to be around for a long while yet 

starman73
Elite

@commanda6 wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

Hi 

@Anonymous User actually 5 pounds of the virgin media TV subscription cost is for the set-top box so if you're only paying 5 pounds you're paying solely for the set-top box, not the channels. BT and talk talk do very much the same. It's unfortunate, but that's how they get away with charging you and no I don't agree with the practice.

Virgin media are  crafty in the sense that you can't access any channels on their system without their hardware and they charge you for the privilege of using that hardware 

In the olden days you could get a box from NTL and use the box to access BBC/ITV/Channel 4/Channel 5 and not pay for it, but since it went digital there is a charge.  It is splitting hairs to say the charge is for the box or the channels.  Virgin are charging for access to the FTA channels. So it would be legal for Sky to do similar with their IPTV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@starman73 wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

Hi 

In the olden days you could get a box from NTL and use the box to access BBC/ITV/Channel 4/Channel 5 and not pay for it, but since it went digital there is a charge.  It is splitting hairs to say the charge is for the box or the channels.  Virgin are charging for access to the FTA channels. So it would be legal for Sky to do similar with their IPTV.

You still can, those channels aren’t encrypted if you’re tv has a dvb-c tuner it will pick them up but not really worth the effort as they only give you sd 1-5 and a few others

starman73
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

@starman73 wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

Hi 

You still can, those channels aren’t encrypted if you’re tv has a dvb-c tuner it will pick them up but not really worth the effort as they only give you sd 1-5 and a few others

Interesting.  I have a TV with a DVB-C tuner.  Wonder what will happen...