Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

New Tech/Equipment I want to get

@Mark_Weinreb   @RoyB  @dr_necessitor  @schnapps @gavs82008 

and any other interested forum members.

Hi Guys

One of the things I've recently noticed, although it seems obvious now, is that from time to time most of us are on the look out for new tech equipment to add to or enhance our respective entertainment systems.

Apart from my Covid-19 equipment binge of the recent past, I'm looking to either buy myself a new set of stereo speakers and or a stereo equalizer, even though I don't honestly need them (I'm getting that brain itch).

So guys, what have you recently bought or what are you looking to get and, if your willing to say, why?

UK Bob

32 REPLIES 32
Amiga1200
Scholar 2

It's the cross device tracking that really bugs me. I don't know how companies can be allowed to exist by monitoring people's Internet habits to such an extent that they can identify you no matter what device you are on. They will know its you on your work computer or your phone. That's the deeply stalky part of tech that doesn't get the publicity that cookies and trackers do.

If you read the cookie notices etc some list hundreds of companies that want to store cookies and there's usually 5-10 cross device tracking companies too.

They wonder by people use ad blockers, vpns  pi-hole etc.

Anway I'll take my tin foil hat off now and watch the bike racing... which reminds me. I noticed a while back that Google had worked out I ride a motorcycle. On my timeline it listed where I had been and on what transport. Guess that's all the sensors in my and millions of other peoples phones letting them know our activities.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Amiga1200 

You know Amiga

You can take solace in the fact that because of all the data they gather about us and sell keeps the end-price down of the kit we buy.

It's not much but at least it's something.

UK Bob

Amiga1200
Scholar 2

Yeah I guess connected tech is like a supermarket loyalty card. They stalk you so they can give you offers. To be fair Google did give me a free delivered nest mini speaker. I know it's so they can stalk me better (tin foil hat back on) but it was still cool to get free tech.

Hope your new tablet is living up to your expectations. That reminds me. The battery on mine died earlier in the week. Best plug it in!

ukbobboy
Legend

@Amiga1200 

Cheers Amiga

My new tablet is performing as expected but the OS, android 10, looks and operates differently to my old tablet running android 5.1, and I'm getting too old to keep learning this stuff (you know, old dogs and new tricks).

Older Man 2.png

Anyway, my next tech purchase is likely to be an audio equaliser to incorporate into my music system.

Small problem is, whatever additional kit I buy for my music system always makes a small but noticeable change to the sound, e.g. my new tablet has made my system sound fuller and louder (didn't expect that). So I'm gonna have to make some small adjustments to the overall tone and listening levels.

You see, I bought my new tablet to cast and control the music from my media server to my system via my chomecast device.  The larger screen is better for my old eyes, big hands and fat fingers, much easier than struggling with a smartphone.

Still, onwards and upwards.  Later.

UK Bob

Amiga1200
Scholar 2

I used to have a full set of Technics hifi separates with an equaliser... a tape deck, cd player and amp. Then I replaced the amp with an av receiver for surround sound. I still have the centre speaker and surrounds from that setup. Nowadays I just have a Yamaha av receiver, sub and surrounds which mostly covers my needs with a chromecast plugged in the back. I've actually got a decent separates CD player under my sofa at the moment as I don't have room since I moved to have it hooked up until I can get a new media unit.

The problem I have with the amp is although it supports 4k it doesn't support the newer digital copy protection so I have to plug 4k stuff direct to my TV which can cause sound delay issues. I'd like to upgrade to a newer receiver so I can put all my hdmi kit into one place. I dont have much need for 4k at the moment though, HDR gets used more on my PS4. Maybe if I could have got my hands on a PS5 I would have upgraded and got more 4k content. I think it will be a loooong time before NowTv goes 4k considering how long it took them to enter the HD world.

I got bored of waiting for the PS5 to be in stock though so I've just changed my Suzuki for a Kawasaki instead. One Japanese manufactures loss is another's gain! I had to read the manual to work out the computer on that too. And I'm the tech guy at work.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Amiga1200 

You know Amiga

Back in the day I used to have a Hi-Fi separates system as well, it consisted of a Rotel amp and tuner, JVC equaliser, Sony cassette deck, Goodman speakers and a Thorens turntable with an SME 3009 MK2 arm and Ortofon VME20 Mk2 cartridge. 

However, I got married and had kids, and when they started to toddle around it became pretty obvious that kids and Hi-Fi can't co-exist in the same home, so the hi-fi had to go.

Now, some thirty plus years later, the kids have left home and the Hi-Fi scene has gone through changes and, to a certain extent, has combined with the AV and computer world.  This is where an oldie like me, who still loves his music, runs into trouble. No matter how much I hold out I have to keep adapting to computer tech changes or a I'll loose my music, video entertainment or both, hence the new tablet.

Still, it keeps the grey matter churning.

As before, onwards and upwards. Later

UK Bob (Kickin' it ol' skool)

ukbobboy
Legend

@Amiga1200  @gavs82008  @Saint1976  @commanda6 

Well Guys

That brain itch is back with a vengence and I just gotta spend some cash (well, bend my credit card) and get myself a new tech toy.

Exploding Head.jpg

Anyway, and before I try to explain myself, I started having a music sesh this morning mainly consisting of nearly fifty year old music, i.e. from 1972/73.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would still be enjoying albums from my teenage years. Just can't figure that one out.

Anyway, at the end of this month I've decided to buy myself a subwoofer, I've decided I want deeper bass.  I don't need deeper bass, I just want it. I've been buying some peripherals in preparation for this new piece of kit that I'm gong to add to my music system.

However, as most of you can guess, I don't really know if what I am trying to do will work in the end or will I have to return the SW and take a loss on the extras I've had to buy.

Still guys, upwards and onwards.

UK Bob

Amiga1200
Scholar 2

I was looking at 'vintage hifi kit on ebay yesterday after browsing the vinyl section in HMV. Someone was selling a Technics dual tape deck with auto reverse and a separate equaliser. Took me back to my old separates system of the 90s.

I managed to get a tech fix later when I went to Sainsburys. They were selling off the rose gold versions of these little Bush bluetooth speakers... for a fiver. I've got a Google Nest Mini, I've got a Yamaha AV amp and sub. I've got a Sony micro hifi in the bedroom... but it was a fiver for a bluetooth speaker with a lithium battery. Believe it or not it sounds pretty good. Gonna take it to work so I can more make use of my Google music subscription and save listening to the radio... with adverts. Oh how I hate adverts.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Amiga1200 

Hi Amiga

You know, I also like looking at vintage kit, especially when watching them being repaired and refurbished on YouTube. My personal favourites are when belt drive turntables are brought back to life. However, I can never go there again simply because using any vinyl related Hi-Fi kit demands a ritualistic fervour I just can't do any more.

Still, I do enjoy collecting my various mini-items, getting them all to work together and getting a cool, detailed sound I can live with and bop to.

For example, right now I'm listening to "Hardcastle Nine" a smooth, jazz infused album by Paul Hardcastle. This digital album is stored on my NAS, along with over 450 other digital albums, sent by wi-fi to my chromecast device, and then onwards to my music system, and it's this system I will attach a subwoofer to at the end of the month.

Don't know if it will work, i.e. not physically but sonically.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Amiga1200 

Hi Amiga

My "Tech Toy Thirst" has been quenched (for now) because my subwoofer arrived, just over a week ago, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

After setting it up, I found it fitted seemlessly into my current music system and gave it that bass boost I did not realise I was missing until now, also I found that vocalist, especially male vocalist, had more depth and presence.

So, it's not just about more bass, it's about adding that elusive something to music that makes it sound more alive.

Anyway, I'm happy for now,  ever onwards and upwards.

UK Bob