cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

New Now TV Box

Dear Forum Members

It seems that Now TV, for the 2016 new box, are pushing their combo packages rather than promoting the box itself.  For example, I cannot find any information about the specifications of this new box and so do not know it's capabilities or facilities outside of the combos on offer.

Up until now, the information about this new box has been carefully managed, so before I can make up my mind about this box I would like to see some independent, or at least amateur, testing.

UK Bob

5 REPLIES 5
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

I assume you've browsed some of the hands-on reviews around the web to see what info is out there. One of the better ones I've read is 

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/media-streamers/1400602/now-tv-review-we-test-the-s...

although they've got the price wrong and of course it's difficult for us to judge the accuracy until NOW TV release their own more detailed info. What we do know is that the main difference between this and the current box is the inclusion of a Freeview tuner, and if this has no interest to you (either because you don't use freeview or you are already satisfied with how you access Freeview) then the new box probably isn't going to be a necessary upgrade to the current black NOW TV box for most people.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy

Hi Andy

Yes, I have seen this review before and again you're right about it's limited eligibility as an upgrade from the current black box.

I was somewhat confused about the price quoted and final (black box) picture shown in this review, I now believe the reviewer seem to have got mixed up with the current black box and the new one he was supposed to be reviewing.  Therefore, I will still "hold back" until I see I see some more reviews, especially from semi-pro and amateur reviewers.

However Andy, what I am actually after is how much ram memory has it got, what's the CPU specs, has the USB port been used (I've noted that the reviewer says the USB port can be used but did not say he used it), can you save anything to the micro SD port? And so on.  Plus, what I believe is very important, can you still side-load an app if you need to (despite the suggestion that this new box has no UPnP facilities).

Personally, I am not so interested in the new "business in a combo box" because, I believe, this offer is good for the supplier and not so good in the long term for the customer (which I cannot prove, just feel).

I now await the release of the full specs for the new box.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Yeah, as you know some people are trialling the smart box, but that trial is still ongoing and so nobody involved in that will be able to post the sort of info you are looking for yet.

I suspect the first place you'll hear anything reliable will be on the NOW TV website itself, once the combo is launched the website and help sections will no doubt start to be populated with Smart Box info. Until then, you'll have to speculate and make do with the hands-on reviews online.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i like the sound of the package deal but no date has been given yet! does any one have any ideas when this will be coming out?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User "early July". You can register your interest here www.nowtv.com/combo