cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Netflix on the NOW TV Stick?

Can anyone tell me if its possible to add Netflix to the NOW TV box as its not avaliable to download in the APP Store. Many thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User, 

Just an update to let you know that Netflix is now available for you to download through a select number of NOW TV devices. 

For more info check out our post about Netflix here.

Thanks,

Karl

View solution in original post

120 REPLIES 120
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks

I  have finished setting up the box and apart from it being very sluggish it is fine.  I am now watching The Night Manager on BBC iPlayer  and it's working great.  When I activate the sports pass I shall not be switching to anything else but the golf on this little white box.  I was almost ecstatic when I saw Sky sports news as one of the apps but when I clicked it was only available with subscription. 

There is no off switch on the box so I presume I have to switch it off at the plug. Any reported fires yet?

As Now TV can be viewed on up to four devices, how do I get it on the laptop.  I set up my account and payment method on that but when I select "Watch Now TV" whither signed in or out, I can't see the same content as on my TV connected to the white box.  I only get the pay content options.

You can leave the box plugged in and on standby. It's meant to do that and doesn't take up much usage. The four device limit only applies to the pay tv content.  The free content such as BBC I player can only be used on the box.

Regarding the sky sports news app, this will be available when you activate the pass and 30 days afterwards I believe.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks

I  have finished setting up the box and apart from it being very sluggish it is fine.  I am now watching The Night Manager on BBC iPlayer  and it's working great.  When I activate the sports pass I shall not be switching to anything else but the golf on this little white box.  I was almost ecstatic when I saw Sky sports news as one of the apps but when I clicked it was only available with subscription. 

There is no off switch on the box so I presume I have to switch it off at the plug. Any reported fires yet?

As Now TV can be viewed on up to four devices, how do I get it on the laptop.  I set up my account and payment method on that but when I select "Watch Now TV" whither signed in or out, I can't see the same content as on my TV connected to the white box.  I only get the pay contewhen adding snt options.

You can leave the box plugged in and on standby. It's meant to do that and doesn't take up much usage. The four device limit only applies to the pay tv content.  The free content such as BBC I player can only be used on the box.

Regarding the sky sports news app, this will be available when you activate the pass and 30 days afterwards I believe.

I'm not concerned about the box wattage use, just a bit about fires.  It is always on & there is no way of putting it on standby  that I can see - unless it's the * button on the remote.

It makes sense that I can only watch pay content on several devices but I wish it stated that.  You have saved me a lot of frustration in trying to solve this puzzle.  The Sports News channel content is available when any pay pass is active and for 30 days after using a sports passs.  I found that out in my Now Tv tour.  I may buy a film or entertainment pass just to have a play at pay content before I use my sports pass.  I still have to find Fox News/TV. It's listed in the PDF of available Apps but I can't find it.

Thanks a lot for your patience and helping me  understanding this stuff. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks

As Now TV can be viewed on up to four devices, how do I get it on the laptop.  I set up my account and payment method on that but when I select "Watch Now TV" whither signed in or out, I can't see the same content as on my TV connected to the white box.  I only get the pay contewhen adding snt options.

I'm not concerned about the box wattage use, just a bit about fires.  It is always on & there is no way of putting it on standby  that I can see - unless it's the * button on the remote.

It makes sense that I can only watch pay content on several devices but I wish it stated that.  You have saved me a lot of frustration in trying to solve this puzzle.  The Sports News channel content is available when any pay pass is active and for 30 days after using a sports passs.  I found that out in my Now Tv tour.  I may buy a film or entertainment pass just to have a play at pay content before I use my sports pass.  I still have to find Fox News/TV. It's listed in the PDF of available Apps but I can't find it.

No problem 🙂

The * button is just an extra information  so if you were watching a film if you pressed * it would tell you how long is left. The box automatically goes into standby after a few minutes of non use and I haven't heard of any fires.

About those apps, if you're still using a white box if on the main screen you go to channel store , or press Apps on the white remote , you will find apps like fox news there.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

No problem 🙂

The * button is just an extra information  so if you were watching a film if you pressed * it would tell you how long is left. The box automatically goes into standby after a few minutes of non use and I haven't heard of any fires.

About those apps, if you're still using a white box if on the main screen you go to channel store , or press Apps on the white remote , you will find apps like fox news there.

I will sleep well tonight not worrying about a white box fire. I pressed the * button from time to time and it didn't seem to do anything but I will now use it where I think additional info should be available. I will also try the Apps again for Fox news.

http://web.static.nowtv.com/email-marketing/assets/legals/NOW_TV_apps_21AUG2015.pdf    its listed here as available & I saw it elsewhere as well. 

Thanks and good night,

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Will we be getting Netflix app at amy point?  I am considering moving to apple TV just because I can then get access to Netflix on my TV.

Thanks,

Sonia

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

The full-fat Roku boxes (of which the NOW TV box is a modified version) have access to Netflix and Amazon Instant as well as a large number of more niche apps compared to the NOW TV box. As the NOW TV box is marketed as a low-cost way of getting NOW TV and the 'traditional' channels (BBC, ITV etc) I doubt Netflix will be coming anytime soon, if ever, so as not to compete too closely with the Roku boxes, and there has been no mention of it from NOW TV themselves.

If you are thinking of a new device, worth having a look at the various Rokus as well as Apple TV (the NOW TV app on the Apple TV is really basic compared to the NOW TV box/Roku version).

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Nope, the Netflix app will not be added to the NOW TV 'white' or 'black' boxes. Primarily because the prices of these NOW TV boxes are heavily subsidised by NOW TV...

Other device manufacturers offer the Netflix app, including Roku. So "you pay your money and you take your choice" ...

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Andy @SeeMoreDigital

Hi Son

Although I've not go anything to add to what Andy and SMD have already written but may be the following info, I'm going to mention, may make your white box ownership much more enjoyable, just like it has me.

First, I would suggest that you set yourself up a media server and install Plex on it.

Second, rip/copy your DVD/Blue Ray disks to it, hard work but worth it in the end.

Next, you can also rip/copy your favourite music CDs and downloads to your server.

Once you have side-loaded the Plex app (not the server software) onto your Now TV white box you will then be able to play your music and DVD/Blue Ray films direct to your TV without using any physical (disk) media.

My white box has enabled me to play my music and watch my films without the need of digging out my CDs or DVDs, everything is at the touch of my white boxes remote control.  And now, when I buy CDs from Amazon, I ensure that I can download my music purchases immediately (or asap), transfer them to my server and then directly play my new tunes on my beefed up TV.

I personally could not ask for more.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Iv bought the black nowtv box u der the advise of someone from sky telling me i could netflix which is the sole reason i bought it. Any ideas how i get it or why i cant?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User there is no Netflix on the NOW TV boxes. Not sure who you spoke to but they were wrong.