cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Netflix, Amazon and NOW TV become more popular than pay-TV services

Interesting report from Ofcom this week on changing viewing habits and "cord cutting" in the UK.

Some headlines below or you can read more here: Media Nation's Report - TV streaming services overtake pay TV for first time

TV streaming services overtake pay TV for first time

"There has been a major shift in the UK’s viewing habits, with the number of UK subscriptions to television streaming services such as Netflix overtaking those to traditional pay-television for the first time.

Ofcom research also found spending by the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 on new, UK-made TV programmes fell to a 20-year low. At the same time, people are spending less time watching television: average daily viewing on the television set fell by nine minutes in 2017 – and is down 38 minutes since 2012."

How people are watching TV

"The report also shows how increased take-up of superfast broadband and connected televisions is driving changes in how people watch TV.

Across all devices, the UK’s total television and audio-visual viewing in 2017 reached five hours and one minute per day.

The majority of this (three hours 33 minutes or 71%) was broadcast television, with the remainder (one hour 28 minutes or 29%) non-broadcast content such as YouTube and services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

However, viewers aged 16-34 watched more non-broadcast than broadcast content – an average of 2 hours 37 minutes a day (54%) across all devices, compared with 2 hours 11 minutes (46%)."

audiovisual-viewing

As a parent of two under 12 I can confirm they will only watch the actual TV if I force them, so this trend will continue, at least in our house! Smiley Very Happy

15 REPLIES 15
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

To be honest, even the BBC are pushing people away from traditional TV. For example, a lot of the sports events that the BBC covers now are available through the BBC sport app, but aren't shown on traditional TV. 

For example last week from Thursday to Sunday I was watching the British Open wheelchair tennis, which was covered by the BBC and the BBC sport app but wasn't shown on live TV and before that on Tuesday and Wednesday I was watching the British Open wheelchair tennis through their YouTube channel, but once the BBC started covering it. The quality of the BBC stream was much better, so I used the BBC instead. From that point on. 

If you haven't seen wheelchair tennis. I highly recommend catching the gentleman's wheelchair doubles final on BBC iPlayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bbxyrx/wimbledon-2018-day-12-part-1

The only major rule difference in wheelchair tennis is that the ball can bounce twice the first bounce must be inside the court boundaries, but the second bounce can be anywhere most wheelchair tennis players will try to take the ball on the first bounce

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I use Amazon, NowTV, Netflix & TVPlayer for my TV Viewing, there’s so much more to choose from & being able to have the Sky Sports Channels for a day is handy as I can get it when I want to watch my Football Team play & don’t need to pay for the rest of the time, and it’s also cheaper than having Sky or Virgin.

Roland

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The Office for National Statistics has released its annual report on internet usage - including figures about the use of streaming services.

The full report can be found here.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

More interesting reading, thanks for the heads up. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

just joint now tv; how can i watch netflix on now tv

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

just joint now tv; how can i watch netflix on now tv

Hi @Anonymous User 

if you mean can you watch Netflix on now TV branded hardware, then the answer is yes, you can but be aware, though, that Netflix subscriptions must be managed through the Netflix website. (Through a separate account to now TV) They cannot be managed through now TV. 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.