cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW Tv Dongle

Hi OK I am looking to upgrade, my elderly NOW TV box to a stick or dongle....

Looking around I note that since I bought the 'box' things have moved on which could be a tad confusing!!!

I see that prices of these dongles seem to range anywhere between £25 and X ££££'s.  So in short what does one actually get for their pennies    I recognise that some come with voice activation (as per a SKY Q box) but that appears at the lower end of the market so what 'extra's' if any comes with the higher price and of course just how good are they.

I have had the 'box' now for a number of years and I cannot fault it .

Any info will be useful

Thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Are you upgrading from the white or black NowTV Box ?

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @schnapps  @SweetBlitz 

Hi Guys

This is probably of no use to anybody but myself but, for some reason, I just don't like the stick form factor and so will never ever buy a Roku or Now TV stick.

OK, there's no logic, as such, to my dislike nor can I even offer any kind of explanation, it's just the way it is.

(Slightly mad and illogical) UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

Most of my TV streamers are boxes wired over Ethernet, but the Roku Stick + is a pretty decent device especially with the external booster wifi antenna.

Plus @Anonymous User is looking for something that is portable to take to different locations.

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

looking for something that is portable to take to different locations.

To be honest they are all pretty portable!  Ok,  maybe the boxes require an extra cable and a dedicated charger, but it’s not like bringing a TIVO box along with you.  I used to bring white boxes away with me when working cos if I forgot it, I wouldn’t be too worried.  Just need to change password.    Did once turf up at a hotel when someone had logged into Netflix app on TV, which was a result!

ps - just threw 5 white boxes in bin, no use anymore 😛

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Fair enough Bob each to their own as the saying goes…..

Take care

Nigel
SweetBlitz
Expert 3

I just don't like the stick form factor and so will never ever buy a Roku or Now TV stick.

All well and good, but all Now TV sell these days is a stick.  So if your box(es) die(s), you won’t have any alternative from Now TV.

FWIW, I think boxes are less problematic on the whole.  Getting reliable WiFi signals for sticks and overheating are a couple of bugbears I have.  And apart from being able to hide them on wall mounted TVs there isn’t much else to recommend them. The pink logo box is the best, if you can get hold of it.