cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW Tv Dongle

Hi OK I am looking to upgrade, my elderly NOW TV box to a stick or dongle....

Looking around I note that since I bought the 'box' things have moved on which could be a tad confusing!!!

I see that prices of these dongles seem to range anywhere between £25 and X ££££'s.  So in short what does one actually get for their pennies    I recognise that some come with voice activation (as per a SKY Q box) but that appears at the lower end of the market so what 'extra's' if any comes with the higher price and of course just how good are they.

I have had the 'box' now for a number of years and I cannot fault it .

Any info will be useful

Thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Are you upgrading from the white or black NowTV Box ?

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
SweetBlitz
Expert 3

There is nothing on the stick that you don’t get with the black box(es)

However in practical terms there are some subtle differences that are worth considering

1. It is easier to locate box to get good WiFi signal
  2. sticks get hot, boxes don’t (you may need hdmi extender)
  3. You have to have visibility of old black box to use it infa red remote. New black boxes/sticks use radio remotes, so you don’t.
  4. you can put an Ethernet cable into a box, you can’t do that with a stick
  5. sticks are hidden

I use both.  Sticks are better for wall mounted TVs that are not near the router, boxes better when near router and if you a a unit to put it on.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi and many thanks for those little gems… certainly food for thought when making my decision …..

Thanks again

Nigel
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

The NowTV Voice remote controllers tends to eat through batteries and sometimes losses the wifi connection and you have to re pair them up again together.

One thing i do like with the NowTV & Roku Voice remote is the added bonus of the additional TV standby and TV volume adjust buttons if you can get them to work with your branded television set.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
As mentioned I have the NOW Tv box (Black) I don’t recall the last time I tampered with the batteries again food for thought

Cheers

Nigel
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't know if you use the live pause up 30 minute feature on the NowTV Black boxes or not, but the full blown Roku Players don't have live pause TV when using the NowTV App.

If this is a biggie for you then the NowTV Stick would be the way to go.

Thanks for @SweetBlitz jogging my mind on another thread about live pause TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi er no I have never I don’t think, used the pause button with the NOW box, however I have used it on the odd occasions when viewing via the SKY Q Box. So it does not appear to be a problem . Currently I am leaning towards a ROKU system, but we shall see….

Thank you

Nigel
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Also are you a big NowTV Sports pass users, where currently there is no red button Sports bonus streams with the Roku Players, where the NowTV Stick offers Sports Bonus Streams.

Roku would be my choice over the NowTV Stick if it was my money for the little extra outlay.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi a definite no on that one. No interest in Sports whatsoever and nobody in the house has any such interest.

But again thanks for the info

Nigel
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If that's the case keep an eye out on HotUKDeals website (under the electronics category) where i am expecting some good deals over the next two or three weeks for various TV streamers. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Will do

Nigel