cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW Tv Dongle

Hi OK I am looking to upgrade, my elderly NOW TV box to a stick or dongle....

Looking around I note that since I bought the 'box' things have moved on which could be a tad confusing!!!

I see that prices of these dongles seem to range anywhere between £25 and X ££££'s.  So in short what does one actually get for their pennies    I recognise that some come with voice activation (as per a SKY Q box) but that appears at the lower end of the market so what 'extra's' if any comes with the higher price and of course just how good are they.

I have had the 'box' now for a number of years and I cannot fault it .

Any info will be useful

Thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Are you upgrading from the white or black NowTV Box ?

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Are you upgrading from the white or black NowTV Box ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi the black box….

Cheers

Nigel
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Unless voice search appeals to you, i personally wouldn't bother and keep the NowTV Black Box (unless it's faulty or broken).

There is no difference with regards to Apps and speed navigating around the UI is pretty similar from my testing.

Also in my opinion the black box has a better inbuilt wifi antenna and has the bonus of Ethernet.

Black Friday is coming up end of the month so i would expect to see the Stick sell for around £19.99.

Or maybe consider a full blown Roku Player such has a Premier or Roku Stick + if you want Amazon Prime Video and have a 4K TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi and many thanks for your response, firstly was unaware that there was a ‘white’ box this model was the only on sale in I think the local Supermarket

By the by the ’new’ dongle will be used at another location of course they are transportable from one location to another

I do have both a NOW box and a Q Box…which cannot be moved from the home address…

In any event thanks for your input, much appreciated

Thanks

Nigel
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you want something that is more portable to take from house to house or with you on holidays, then the NowTV Stick would be more suitable.

Personally if it was me i would wait until Black Friday and if you can get the Roku Stick Plus under £40 then it's a much better overall device than the NowTV Stick.

It's a shame that the new Google TV dongle doesn't currently support the native NowTV App on it (apart from casting) otherwise i myself would be tempted to go with the new Google TV (if the price drops around £40 to £45).

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi and once again thanks for your input never thought of a ROKU Stick food for thought…

Thanks again

Nigel
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Here's the UK website for Roku with more information about their devices and supported Apps.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/players 

I have seen the Roku Express sell for £19.99, the Roku Premier for £25 and the Roku Stick + sell recently in the sales for £35.

Please note the Roku Express & Roku Premier are miniature streaming boxes, where the Roku Stick + is a Stick with the added bonus of a more powerful external wifi antenna.

I have the Roku Stick + and it's a pretty decent streaming device.

Wait until Black Friday and also keep an eye out on HotUKDeals website for best prices for any TV streamers you are interested in.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi and again thank you

Regards

Nigel
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

No problems any questions then don't hesitate to ask.