Did you mean: 
SirHC
Scholar 3

Re: Now TV Smart Box Trial

@commanda6 wrote:

@SirHC wrote:

@ukbobboy wrote:

Dear Forum Members

Does anyone know if the New Now TV Box will be able to pick up those freeview channels that require an additional component or facility to be viewed, e.g. Vintage TV, where a notice appears saying "Sorry, your device is not compatible with this service".  

Furthermore, there seems to be more of these "Sorry, your device is not compatible..." freeview channels popping up every few months and I really do not know what is needed to make them watchable.

UK Bob

You need a Freeview HD receiver which supports MHEG-IC with the streaming channel extensions, and is connected to the Internet.  Oh, and it needs to be on the whitelist for the service and/or not the blacklist.

Basically anything certified with the Freeview HD logo after 2012 should work.

I don't know if the NowTV smart box is Freeview HD certified.

@SirHC your partially correct. There are two methods of delivering IP channels on digital terrestrial one is  MHEG-IC as you describe, and the other is something else. I'm not actually quite sure what the other method is

It's part of the reason why only half of the IP channels on available on freeview work on Youview. In some cases you can find that some boxes will support one method and not the other or in some cases, both. Freeview play for example supports both methods. So all IP channels are available on freeview play

No, there's only one method.  The reason only half of them work on YouView is because there are two companies that write the MHEG apps that use this functionality - Synapse (S&T) and Arqiva (formerly Connect TV).  This introduces variences as to which devices things work on.  However, the main reason why half of them work on YouView is because YouView doesn't support MHEG-IC.  Arqiva are shareholders in YouView so after they bought Connect TV they fudged the YouView firmware to enable it to support their own channels.

So, you're right they don't use MHEG-IC on YouView, but that's just a workaround for incomplete functionality.  On every other device they use MHEG-IC.

Freeview Play works differently of course, but the numbered channels in the EPG are all MHEG. 

Tom-R
NOW TV Team (Retired)

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say you do need an aerial in order to take part in the trial, so @Shaunl23 and @caseyb1993 it might be worth picking one up on the cheap.

Apologies for the information given via live chat - the live chat team don't have any involvement with the trial, so they've likely interpreted the question as relating to the current box.

Thanks,

Tom

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Tom-R I found a cheap one in Argos. If I get it tomorrow and it works can I change the DTT question to 'Yes'?

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
0 Thanks
Tom-R
NOW TV Team (Retired)

@caseyb1993 I can get it updated for you, yeah. No need to buy it just yet, but you'll need it for when the box arrives (should you be successful in getting onto the trial of course!)

@Shaunl23 let me know if you plan on doing the same.

Cheers,

Tom

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Tom-R Oh I figured that, so fingers crossed for me 😉

Its about time I got an aerial anyway providing it gets a signal 😄

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 wrote:

@Tom-R I found a cheap one in Argos. If I get it tomorrow and it works can I change the DTT question to 'Yes'?

@caseyb1993

How far is the local TV transmitter from your house ?

If you are looking at a cheap indoor aerial and your nearest transmitter is a few miles away (20 miles plus) it may struggle getting a decent quality signal.

I would ask Argos, if you would be entitled to a refund if you find the tv reception is weak on the aerial.

Should Argos refund policy don't cover tv aerials,then maybe it might be wise to invest in a slightly better performing tv aerial. 

Just a thought, unless you are willing to take a chance on a cheap indoor aerial.

markedman
Scholar

I hadn't used my aerial for quite a while but thought I would check it out to see if it still works okay. Works a treat Smiley Happy Even if i don't get selected for the trial at least I know it will work when I eventually get my hands on one of the new boxes.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

Thank you @schnapps. I am prepared to try it as I think they do hand out refunds 🙂

I'll double check when I go in store. 🙂

Also the transmitter isn't too far away but this summer I am planning on getting the outdoor one sorted and spliced. 🙂

If I can't get it sorted then it isn't the end of the world but it is worth a try 😉

Shaunl23
Scholar 2

Hi Tom,

I'm going to give the trial a miss as I don't have an aerial and don't want to not be able to provide the feedback if an indoor one doesn't work for it.
Thanks for the help anyway 🙂
Tom-R
NOW TV Team (Retired)

@Shaunl23 no problem, thanks for showing an interest anyway!

@caseyb1993 I've let the trials team know your application needs to be amended.

Thanks,

Tom