cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

"Online TV streaming service, NOW TV, is to launch its most advanced TV box later this year. The brand new NOW TV Smart Box will bring together NOW TV’s wide range of pay TV content and over 60 live free-to-air channels.

Additionally customers with a NOW TV Box will see new a brand new interface (UI) roll out to their TVs from February. The new-look UI will include a number of great new features including a content-rich homepage offering editorial recommendations of what to watch across catch up TV apps and pay TV content from NOW TV. A new ‘Best of Catch Up’ section, curated by content partners, will also arrive showcasing all the best shows our customers may have missed in one place.

Gidon Katz, Director of NOW TV said: “The launch of our new homepage on the NOW TV Box will make it easier than ever for our customers to quickly find and watch their favourite shows. And when the new NOW TV Smart Box arrives later this year, it will be the perfect one-stop box to get a contract-free, flexible way of watching the best of pay TV and free-to-air content all in one place.”

NOW TV worked with Silicon Valley based Roku Inc. to develop the new NOW TV Smart Box which will sit alongside the existing NOW TV Box, with pricing details and further information to be made available later in the year."

340 REPLIES 340
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It was not realy a new box announcement as you state Nothing about the specs was given out...

All now TV have stated is that its just a Freeview HD box with NowTV built in... (likely built by LG) and no Optical audio port again...

It was the Combo deal announcement thats needed to get the new box for nothing that was announced...

Lots of info on that... not the new box realy...  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

likely built by LG

It's built by Roku as per the press release. It looking like a Roku 4 from the very first photos months ago were a good clue too. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

likely built by LG

It's built by Roku as per the press release. It looking like a Roku 4 from the very first photos months ago were a good clue too. 

Freeview HD decoder from LG can be put it inside any plastic shell and rebadged... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Quite a bit was let out about the box not just about the combo deal. Sky told us about the pause and rewind, price out of the combo deal, the lack of 4k abilities and the ports etc. Its the finer details that were lacking but seeing as its out in little over a week its not going to take long to find out.

lenturn
Scholar 2

@Anonymous User wrote:

Now that the box has been officially announced today can we have some more info please! I'm concerned than the EPG still only contains now and next, is this correct even on freeview?

Not having a standard 8 day EPG is an oversight, but an even bigger one is not having any way to key in Freeview channel numbers, which can only mean you have to scroll through the whole lot to get to the one you want to watch! That will be very cumbersome.

On the plus side it's finally a 50Hz box, and it's reported that the usb works for media playback, although that was reported last time and actually wasn't true.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can someone please confirm that the live Sky channels will now stream in 720p (as suggested in the review below )? If they do then I'd dump my AppleTV's rubbish app in a heartbeat.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/media-streamers/1400602/now-tv-review-we-test-the-s...

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  that review couldn't even get the price right so I would not take too much notice of them.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
OK thank you 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable
And by announcement you mean to the public at large or within this forum ? 😉
Legend 5
Legend 5
Announcement is to public.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.