cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

"Online TV streaming service, NOW TV, is to launch its most advanced TV box later this year. The brand new NOW TV Smart Box will bring together NOW TV’s wide range of pay TV content and over 60 live free-to-air channels.

Additionally customers with a NOW TV Box will see new a brand new interface (UI) roll out to their TVs from February. The new-look UI will include a number of great new features including a content-rich homepage offering editorial recommendations of what to watch across catch up TV apps and pay TV content from NOW TV. A new ‘Best of Catch Up’ section, curated by content partners, will also arrive showcasing all the best shows our customers may have missed in one place.

Gidon Katz, Director of NOW TV said: “The launch of our new homepage on the NOW TV Box will make it easier than ever for our customers to quickly find and watch their favourite shows. And when the new NOW TV Smart Box arrives later this year, it will be the perfect one-stop box to get a contract-free, flexible way of watching the best of pay TV and free-to-air content all in one place.”

NOW TV worked with Silicon Valley based Roku Inc. to develop the new NOW TV Smart Box which will sit alongside the existing NOW TV Box, with pricing details and further information to be made available later in the year."

340 REPLIES 340
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, can you point me in the right direction of the app and maybe a guide on how to install it?

thanks.

@Mark_Weinreb wrote:

@schnapps I can confirm that the Roku USB media player app can be side-loaded onto the new smart box, and that it works. I have a copy of my music library on a 500GB WD passport drive, NTFS formatted, which the box recognises and plays (via the aforementioned app) perfectly.

Not an official clarification perhaps, but the app has been on the box since the trial started back in mid-April.

Oddly enough, a 128 GB flash drive fails to be recognised regardless of format.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User The USB media player can be downloaded from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rokusdkexamples/files/usbplayer.zip/download 

You'll need to put you box into developer mode first. If you don't know how to do that,  just search for "roku developer mode" in this sub-forum, the black box sub-forum or on the internet.

Do not unzip the file before loading it onto your smart box.

Once the app is installed, it will appear in you apps list.

Have fun.

Edit: I've just checked the link and it's no longer working. But with luck someone else might supply a working link.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Let me try again with a link that works. http://www.waxedperfection.co.uk/now-tv-usb-working-hd-box 

This article tells you how to enter developer mode, and includes a working link to the app at the end.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Mark_Weinreb

Guys

I put a suggestion in the Ideas Section of this forum to have the Roku Media Player placed in the NowTV app store, this will automatically give the USB port functionality when installed on our boxes.

Plus, there will be no further need to sideload anything other than Plex.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

well ive installed no problem but, no sound on any mkv files??

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

...no sound on any mkv files??

What's their audio format type, ie: AAC, MP3, PCM, AC3 (Dolby Digital), DTS, etc, etc?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

no idea sorry

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a now tv smart box with freeview would be great if with could have a guide improvement either sky based or freeview play based and a feature to set reminders and set series links and record with an Exsternal hdd using USB or micro sd slot!

Also itv hub is very poor no search feature can only get last couple of days catch up!
Legend 5
Legend 5
A lot of people would like a better TV guide. It doesn't make planning an evening viewing very easy. Quite what is debatable, I personally would like to be able to look 24 hrs either way. I'd like look back to show what was in catch-up.
I doubt record will become available to USB. You can get a sideload app online to get the USB working though I can't vouch for it's functionality. I think it is just a play app. Which I agree means you could miss a lot of content that is not on catch-up.
Regarding the ITV hub unfortunately this is 3rd party and not well designed.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.