cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

"Online TV streaming service, NOW TV, is to launch its most advanced TV box later this year. The brand new NOW TV Smart Box will bring together NOW TV’s wide range of pay TV content and over 60 live free-to-air channels.

Additionally customers with a NOW TV Box will see new a brand new interface (UI) roll out to their TVs from February. The new-look UI will include a number of great new features including a content-rich homepage offering editorial recommendations of what to watch across catch up TV apps and pay TV content from NOW TV. A new ‘Best of Catch Up’ section, curated by content partners, will also arrive showcasing all the best shows our customers may have missed in one place.

Gidon Katz, Director of NOW TV said: “The launch of our new homepage on the NOW TV Box will make it easier than ever for our customers to quickly find and watch their favourite shows. And when the new NOW TV Smart Box arrives later this year, it will be the perfect one-stop box to get a contract-free, flexible way of watching the best of pay TV and free-to-air content all in one place.”

NOW TV worked with Silicon Valley based Roku Inc. to develop the new NOW TV Smart Box which will sit alongside the existing NOW TV Box, with pricing details and further information to be made available later in the year."

340 REPLIES 340

@Anonymous User The closest thing I've found so far, in terms of "one box to view them all", is the Roku 2. But of course that's just a streaming device and not a PVR. I've also got a YouView+ PVR (DTR-T2110) but use Sky Broadband, so there are no add on channels available, and would also use it for NOW TV Entertainment if it weren't for the restrictions (which effectively mean we can't!)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I thought the UI for the current boxes was supposed to be updated this month, is it still on its way?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it's a staged rollout, you'll get it soon enough (although it's not groundbreaking to be that concerned with). 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thx Artesea, I won't get too excited then!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When this new box with 60 free-to-air tv channels how much would it be ??
Legend 5
Legend 5
Has not been announced yet. When they launched the black box they did a trial. I would keep an eye out for announcements for a trial of the new box. Worth applying when they get announced. 🙂
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

First let me say what a great bit of kit the Now TV box is! Over the years I have spent £000's of pounds on TV's, Sky and set top boxes etc... but the Now TV box for £14 has to be one of the best bits of kit on the market. It is for this reason that I am already upset when I read about the new 'Now TV Smart Box' due out this year. Most people that buy the 'Now' box have a TV, and most TV's will have a DTT tuner... So having a DTT tuner in the new 'Now TV Smart Box' is pointless! Would it not have been better to provide the Free-to-Air channels via streaming? I just don't get it... Sorry Sky!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Most people that buy the 'Now' box have a TV, and most TV's will have a DTT tuner... So having a DTT tuner in the new 'Now TV Smart Box' is pointless! 

I reckon there'll be a few 'projector' and 'monitor' owners who will find this new NOW TV box very useful...

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Most people that buy the 'Now' box have a TV, and most TV's will have a DTT tuner... So having a DTT tuner in the new 'Now TV Smart Box' is pointless! 

I reckon there'll be a few 'projector' and 'monitor' owners who will find this new NOW TV box very useful...

Agree with SeeMoreDigital.

Projector users and people who have TV's with inbuilt non HD Freeview tuner may find this box useful.

I am in this above category, where my older Panasonic Plasma TV in the bedroom has only a SD tuner and having HD Freeview channels would be a welcome bonus.

Mainly watch movies on my Projector, but on the rare occasions I would want to watch terrestrial tv such has a big sporting event etc, then I could hook up this box to my AV Receiver /Projector.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Don't get me wrong, I am a great NOW TV fan and as I said I think the NOW TV box is a great bit of kit. I was really looking forward to the new smart box, but reading up on it I am quite sad that the Free-to Air channels have not been put on streaming like Sky One etc... There are 101 set top boxes with DVB-T tuners out there, and I just feel sky could have gone one better. Lets say you have your main set in the living room but don't or unable to run cables all over the house so that you can get freeview. Having them come into the box via the internet would have allowed for one to receive the channels via wifi. Sky also could have taken on the likes of TVPlayer.... Just a thought