cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV broadband router..

Dear anyone,

I've just received a NOW TV router and I see from the network details that it has duel ID's and 2.4Ghz and 5 GHz.. what's the reason and how do they work?

Kind regards, Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Having a Dual Band Router will take advantage of both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi frequencies where you may find on certain devices and location of the room from where the Router is positioned that one band works better than the other.

With the NOW Hub 2 Router you need to split the wifi bands and setup your internet connected devices which works best on either of the two bands.

Otherwise the NOW Hub Router will automatically switch to what the NOW Hub thinks is the best and from my experience causes temporary drop outs.

i find splitting the bands and testing on both 2.4 and 5ghz to find which is more stable for me.

In my case and environment 2.4ghz runs best with my setup.

Here's the instructions how to do it.

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Having a Dual Band Router will take advantage of both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi frequencies where you may find on certain devices and location of the room from where the Router is positioned that one band works better than the other.

With the NOW Hub 2 Router you need to split the wifi bands and setup your internet connected devices which works best on either of the two bands.

Otherwise the NOW Hub Router will automatically switch to what the NOW Hub thinks is the best and from my experience causes temporary drop outs.

i find splitting the bands and testing on both 2.4 and 5ghz to find which is more stable for me.

In my case and environment 2.4ghz runs best with my setup.

Here's the instructions how to do it.

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your help I managed to find my way through without a hitch.

One question, how can I send attachments because I've a screenshot of NetSpot showing my noise vs speed ratio that I have a question about?

Kind regards, Steve

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If the internet speeds are not matching the guaranteed speeds promised when you signed up, then you are better off contacting the NOW Broadband Team direct.

Bear in mind the promised speeds is measured at the Router, and not over wifi so the most accurate measurement would be over Ethernet with no other internet devices running in the background if you don't trust the speeds measurement by going under your online account by doing a Technical Check.

The Community Forum is mainly customers helping out other customers, so the link below would be your best option.

Here's a link page with three methods to get in touch with the NOW Broadband Team.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't have a problem with the internet, it's fine, I just wanted to know how I can send attachments?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am not sure if sending a photo attachment is possible until you have achieved so many posts on the forum.

Can't remember the exact figure until this feature is available until the camera icon symbol is showing on the top tool box tab when sending a message (see screen shot).

Maybe there is another way of posting an image using the link (chain icon) which i haven't never tried myself, where i always use the camera icon which is available to me.

Screenshot_2021-07-26-17-55-31.png

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

If you don’t yet have the camera icon, post the screenshot on some publicly available repository (as long as you don’t mind just anybody being able to see it) and then link to it with the chain item, which you can do even as a newbie here.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tried doing that but it keeps throwing me out when I complete the last action i.e. click 'Apply'. and the 2 bands are not visible then

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

What i would try is a different internet browser or another device such has a smartphone when accessing the NOW Hub webpage settings if the green Apply button didn't work (assuming you did the changes on both 2.4ghz & 5ghz tabs on the screen page and clicked on the green Apply button on both 2.4ghz & 5ghz screen tabs).

If still no luck, then maybe hold in the reset button on the back of the Router for around 15 seconds and start the process again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps

I tried all of that and successfully split the WiFi bands but I couldn't get anything to link to either network (though both say connected when I switch to them). I went back into 192.168.0.1 and checked the box to resynch the networks and still couldn't link anything to the Internet. I've tried going back into 192.168.0.1 to see what I might have done wrong but now the site is unreachable.  Help! (Please speak in word of one syllable - I'm a luddite!)