cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BicBasher
Elite

NOW TV Smart DNS block INSIDE the UK!

I had numerous problems today signing into external devices today includng Android/Chromecast and figured out the issue.

NOW TV is blocking access to Smart DNS Proxy users, which I had the DNS numbers set at router level.   However as I live in the UK and have legitimate passes, I was being penalised for those who illegally watch NOW TV abroad. 

So I had to use a workaround, by using the ISP's DNS servers at router level, so that NOW TV using my phone/Now TV box via wifi see the UK DNS, while the PC and smart tv see the Smart DNS, although it means I can't use the LG TV app at the moment.

It seems with the crackdown on using Smart DNS providers from Netflix, Sky/Now TV are doing the same, which is within their right, but also blocking British customers who also use those providers.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous User
Not applicable

For as long as I've know people with active proxies have had issues with NOW TV. Either the proxy routes them to a CDN too far away causing poor bitrates or alarm bells ring at Sky's end and they block you themselves. 

BicBasher
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

For as long as I've know people with active proxies have had issues with NOW TV. Either the proxy routes them to a CDN too far away causing poor bitrates or alarm bells ring at Sky's end and they block you themselves. 

Hi @Anonymous User

This was the first time I've had problems with NOW TV while using a Smart DNS provider.  Even more surprising for me at least was that while I could get the Android app to bring up the cast screen on Chromecast, that was it, the Android devices either showed network connectivity problems or the wrong password.  Incidentally it worked still through the NOW TV Box and the PC throughout the issues I had while using the DNS.

These providers sell their product on the premise that while using UK services, British providers such as NOW TV should see that I'm still in the UK and not using a data centre somewhere abroad.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@BicBasher I can see where you're coming from, but the difficulty is in distinguishing between people in the UK or abroad if the setup they're all using is pretty much the same.

Because of our agreements with content providers, we have to put those restrictions in place. If we didn't, we wouldn't be able to get the great shows and movies that we do.

Hopefully you figure out a permanent way around it that gets everything working 🙂

Tom

BicBasher
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

@BicBasher I can see where you're coming from, but the difficulty is in distinguishing between people in the UK or abroad if the setup they're all using is pretty much the same.

Because of our agreements with content providers, we have to put those restrictions in place. If we didn't, we wouldn't be able to get the great shows and movies that we do.

Hopefully you figure out a permanent way around it that gets everything working 🙂

Tom

Hi @Anonymous User

The workaround I have works well.   We've moved a long way from the days when NOW TV would buffer at every whim over wifi, so happy to use Chromecast or the NOW TV box to watch.

As for the reasons why I use a proxy, it's mainly for watching French tv services as I live in a bi-lingual household.  Watching TF1 or France 2 is as important here as watching Sky Atlantic or Sky Movies through NOW TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can I use googles open dns  or will now to block my programs.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

Yep, you can use Google's DNS servers. I use Google's DNS servers and I've never had a problem

From memory, Google's DNS servers are

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I guess it depends on whether you're located inside or outside the UK.

If you're located outside the UK, NOW TV are under no obligation to support you and will (most probably) use every method at their disposal to prevent you from gaining access to their content. Including discussing such issues on this forum... 

Cheers

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

I guess it depends on whether you're located inside or outside the UK.

If you're located outside the UK, NOW TV are under no obligation to support you and will (most probably) use every method at their disposal to prevent you from gaining access to their content. Including discussing such issues on this forum... 

Cheers

good point @SeeMoreDigital

@Anonymous User I forgot to ask if you are located in the UK? But you can use Google's DNS servers. If you're located in the UK. In fact, I would actually recommend people do so and I have seen NowTV recommend their use on occasion when people have connectivity problems is Google's DNS servers are pretty much the best there is.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why would you want to use a DNS Smart Provider in the UK anyway?