cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BicBasher
Elite

NOW TV Smart DNS block INSIDE the UK!

I had numerous problems today signing into external devices today includng Android/Chromecast and figured out the issue.

NOW TV is blocking access to Smart DNS Proxy users, which I had the DNS numbers set at router level.   However as I live in the UK and have legitimate passes, I was being penalised for those who illegally watch NOW TV abroad. 

So I had to use a workaround, by using the ISP's DNS servers at router level, so that NOW TV using my phone/Now TV box via wifi see the UK DNS, while the PC and smart tv see the Smart DNS, although it means I can't use the LG TV app at the moment.

It seems with the crackdown on using Smart DNS providers from Netflix, Sky/Now TV are doing the same, which is within their right, but also blocking British customers who also use those providers.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Welcome to forums

People use them to view content from other countries.

For example NETFLIX USA has far better content than NETFLIX UK

Netflix are clamping down on this and PayPal has recently stopped making payments to UnoTelly who provided such a service.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @BicBasher

In my household, we use Google (UKs) DNS servers. In fact, Google's DNS servers top list of the best DNS servers to use use in the UK. Have a look at the link below. I've never been Geo blocked by nowTV 

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/1404176/best-dns-servers-in-the-uk

to be specific. We have four DNS servers listed in order of preference in our routers settings. The first two are Google's the last two of virgin media's. So devices on DHCP will try and use Google's DNS servers first. Devices on static/fixed IP are set to use Google DNS servers.

Our brute it is a bit cleverer than most because it's a custom-built one with PF sense installed Smiley Wink

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

I can also recommend using OpenDNS as an alternative to using an ISP's DNS servers.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

Hi @BicBasher

Our brute it is a bit cleverer than most because it's a custom-built one with PF sense installed Smiley Wink

Hi @BicBasher

Oh dear, that was supposed to say our router is a bit cleverer than most. But instead you ended up with the double Dutch version Smiley Sad that can sometimes happen when you need to use dictation software to write posts.

I do apologise

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW is even blocking access to the site itself, which stops legitimate users of the service from managing their account.

Very poor show, NOW.