cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My review for the new NOW TV Combo Smart box

Ive spent a couple of days with the new Now TV Combo Smart Box, and thought id leade my review/thoughts for anyone taking a look and considering at getting one for themselves.

Initial impressions:

The box is small/slim and apart from the blue lettering on it, is a discreet little box.

The Good: It was easy to set up, from the wires in the back to the internet connection, and connecting it to my Now TV account.

The Bad: Just about everything else.

The interface is 'kinda pretty', but far from useful, and the remote.... well, almost cringe worthy.

I never knew just how much I'd miss being able to bring up a full TV guide to scroll through not just now and next, but also to plan my viewing later in the day.

Then theres the added annoyance of losing numbered keys.

Suddenly, everything is now 10 taps on the remote using the directional buttons, instead of just a few for a channel number change. This could easily be solved with an app for the smart phone, but no... no such luck.

Im not sure if crashes galore are part of the charm Now TV intend for us to enjoy, but sit back and relax because theres plenty of them, usually when waking the box up from its power nap. You'll soon get used to the prominant cricket ball logo glaring you in the face.

I think the overal story for this box at the moment is "The box that could be".

Theres an SD card slot that one day could be useable.

Theres the freeview channels that one day could be more viewable (with the right remote / app).

Theres the remote that could be more suitable.

Theres the app that doesnt exist, but is doable (and needs to... quickly!).

Theres the software that could be more reliable (and glitch free).

Only 2 days in and im already weighing up my other options.

Dammit, I really wanted to like this.

(P.S, my Now TV router review is going up shortly as well... want a heads up? Its another miss!)

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User, No problem with Spotify on mine in both Auto and Stereo audio settings, sounds like you've either a duff HDMI lead or box mate.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User completely disagree.  Not sure how you wouldn't advocate for a now / next functionality or the ability to add favourite channels.  It's pretty common nowadays...

skipping the channels takes forever compared to clicking a potential 'favourites'

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Schnapps,

Yeh I had worked out the << and >> to skip parts of the channel list.
Its a bit like golf backwards in tech in someways, rather than forwards.
Or in this case I should say we're going << instead of >>

😂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Got my smart box this morning and I love it, definitely worth the extra over the standard box being able to pause the Sky channels and outputting the 50hz. Used the free sports day pass that was on offer today and the cricket and golf is so much smoother than before. Finally I can retire my AppleTV's awful app lol. 

p.s. @schnapps the HD Freeview from Wenvoe looks brilliant 🙂

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Glad you are pleased with the new smart box, also with the 50hz playback apps such has the BBC IPlayer etc looks much more natural to my eyes with no motion judder. Smiley Happy

Like you,my Apple TV 3 is no longer used in my main Living Room setup since using the NowTV new smart box.

I originally bought my ATV 3 purely for the NowTV service with the added bonus of 720p 50hz over the NowTV live channel streams, since getting hold of the new smart box i have done a comparison on the PQ on the ATV and smart box on the live channel feeds and to be honest i can't see any PQ differences between both devices to my eyes. Smiley Happy

Also, the other reason i ditched my ATV 3 was the clunky slow out dated prehistoric UI, Rubbish Now & Next Guide and no MY TV feature. Smiley Mad