cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My review for the new NOW TV Combo Smart box

Ive spent a couple of days with the new Now TV Combo Smart Box, and thought id leade my review/thoughts for anyone taking a look and considering at getting one for themselves.

Initial impressions:

The box is small/slim and apart from the blue lettering on it, is a discreet little box.

The Good: It was easy to set up, from the wires in the back to the internet connection, and connecting it to my Now TV account.

The Bad: Just about everything else.

The interface is 'kinda pretty', but far from useful, and the remote.... well, almost cringe worthy.

I never knew just how much I'd miss being able to bring up a full TV guide to scroll through not just now and next, but also to plan my viewing later in the day.

Then theres the added annoyance of losing numbered keys.

Suddenly, everything is now 10 taps on the remote using the directional buttons, instead of just a few for a channel number change. This could easily be solved with an app for the smart phone, but no... no such luck.

Im not sure if crashes galore are part of the charm Now TV intend for us to enjoy, but sit back and relax because theres plenty of them, usually when waking the box up from its power nap. You'll soon get used to the prominant cricket ball logo glaring you in the face.

I think the overal story for this box at the moment is "The box that could be".

Theres an SD card slot that one day could be useable.

Theres the freeview channels that one day could be more viewable (with the right remote / app).

Theres the remote that could be more suitable.

Theres the app that doesnt exist, but is doable (and needs to... quickly!).

Theres the software that could be more reliable (and glitch free).

Only 2 days in and im already weighing up my other options.

Dammit, I really wanted to like this.

(P.S, my Now TV router review is going up shortly as well... want a heads up? Its another miss!)

24 REPLIES 24
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Agree about having a favourite option for your TV and Radio channels.

To navigate quicker from the BBC SD channels on the top of the list down to the BBC HD channels further down the TV list, have you tried pressing the  forward >> and << rewind keys on the remote controller ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly mate... im finding the guide /channel changing is useless

BicBasher
Elite

I can't fault the streaming side of the box at all.  Apps work well and sports and movies look a lot better.

Freeview needs a lot of work.  No MHEG support including connected Freeview channels and no 8 day guide.  However the tuner and PQ are excellent.  In 2016, we shouldn't have to scroll down a ton of channels to get to BBC One HD.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User I can't say I agree with you, press the left button on the control pad brings up the channel ffd/rwd skips thw channels a page at a time -simple and effective, unlike the Now TV Now/next which clearly is still half baked because all it does is start the Now TV app.....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having some serious audio issues with the new box - NowTV channels aren't too bad but the freeview and freview HD channels sound awfull..........i also use (well used to !) the spoitfy app and this is so distorted its dont worth a listen.

Anyone else getting this. ?

Ditto the EPG stuff too ! 

Come sky this is programming for dummies !!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I'm having some serious audio issues with the new box - NowTV channels aren't too bad but the freeview and freview HD channels sound awfull..........i also use (well used to !) the spoitfy app and this is so distorted its dont worth a listen.

Out of interest.... What's your NOW TV playback devices 'software' version?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

No sound problem with my smart box either over the Freeview channels or NowTV channels  (haven't tried the Spotify app but when i got a spare 5 minutes will have a test).

I am guessing you have tried the basic things like remove and reconnect the HDMI cable, re scan the Freeview channels again, delete and then reinstall the Spotify app, tried different sound options in the box sound settings menu.

Perhaps try a factory reset to see if that rectifies the sound problem ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Just tried the Spotify app and the sound quality sounds fine to me with no problems.

With your setup does the sound come through your TV speakers or have you set up the audio hooked up to a soundbar, external amplifier or some other method ? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i have a soundbar connected via optical to TV, i've tried obviuosly without this but the TV speakers are that pants its not a great test.

Just seems weird how clear the NowTV streamed stuff is and the drop then to Freeview and the awfull quality of Spotify.

thanks for the test though !

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

i have a soundbar connected via optical to TV, i've tried obviuosly without this but the TV speakers are that pants its not a great test.

Out of interest.... What make and model TV do you have?