cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My review for the new NOW TV Combo Smart box

Ive spent a couple of days with the new Now TV Combo Smart Box, and thought id leade my review/thoughts for anyone taking a look and considering at getting one for themselves.

Initial impressions:

The box is small/slim and apart from the blue lettering on it, is a discreet little box.

The Good: It was easy to set up, from the wires in the back to the internet connection, and connecting it to my Now TV account.

The Bad: Just about everything else.

The interface is 'kinda pretty', but far from useful, and the remote.... well, almost cringe worthy.

I never knew just how much I'd miss being able to bring up a full TV guide to scroll through not just now and next, but also to plan my viewing later in the day.

Then theres the added annoyance of losing numbered keys.

Suddenly, everything is now 10 taps on the remote using the directional buttons, instead of just a few for a channel number change. This could easily be solved with an app for the smart phone, but no... no such luck.

Im not sure if crashes galore are part of the charm Now TV intend for us to enjoy, but sit back and relax because theres plenty of them, usually when waking the box up from its power nap. You'll soon get used to the prominant cricket ball logo glaring you in the face.

I think the overal story for this box at the moment is "The box that could be".

Theres an SD card slot that one day could be useable.

Theres the freeview channels that one day could be more viewable (with the right remote / app).

Theres the remote that could be more suitable.

Theres the app that doesnt exist, but is doable (and needs to... quickly!).

Theres the software that could be more reliable (and glitch free).

Only 2 days in and im already weighing up my other options.

Dammit, I really wanted to like this.

(P.S, my Now TV router review is going up shortly as well... want a heads up? Its another miss!)

24 REPLIES 24
Legend 5
Legend 5

The Good: One place for Freeview, Live Now services -Entertainment, Cinema and Sports, a range of Catch up channels. Easy to set up. Works with an internal aerial. Live TV can be paused. Simple remote and navigation to live channels from the TV guide. (Direct to Freeview, to live section for Now Channels). That's just for starters.
The bad, auto tuning of TV channels, once you ask it to turn, rather than option for manual. No option for removal of Freeview channels not wanted. No kids TV on the Now section of TV guide.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Ree

I've noticed that this if the first of the two reviews you've written so far, and you will see that I have left a question on your second review.

I would now like to ask some questions about this review, and they are:

1) You indicated that the SD slot is currently useless, have you had a chance to check whether the USB port is operational?

2) You may know that both white and black Now TV boxes have the ability to side-load an app, most people (like myself) have found this feature very (very) useful. Is this side-loading feature still retained in the new Now TV Combo box?

3) Again, you may know that both white and black Now TV boxes can communicate with other equipment on your computer network, e.g. a media server.  Does the Now TV Combo box retain the ability to communicate with computers on your network?

For me, if the answer to questions 2) & 3) is "no" then that's a "deal breaker" and makes the Now TV Combo box unbuyable.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy other than the freeview tuner and the ability to pause live TV within the NOW TV app, the smart box behaves the same as the black boxes. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Art

Thanks for that bit of info, I take it then you have tested the new beast but, due to current restrictions, you cannot reveal what you have actually found.

However, it is those details I would like to find out about, rather than just idly speculate about. 

Cheers anyway.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

A quick tip when you are scrolling through the Freeview or Radio channels, instead of pressing the up & down arrows on the remote controller and you want to acess channels further down the list more quickly, try pressing the FF & RW keys on the remote. Smiley Wink

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy 

artesea has answered your question, the box behaves the same way as the current black and white boxes do with regards side loading and connections.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy

Andy

I did not say @Anonymous User did not answer my question in a general way, but I see you have missed the point I'm getting at.

I am not overly interested in general answers, I like to delve into details, if you look at later conversations between @Anonymous User and myself you will see I have been given some detailed answers and I have gone away happy.

And besides Andy, Art does not need you to stand up for him, if I am upsetting him he will let me know.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I side loaded.... not sure if I'm allowed to say it....the popular app beginning with P..... this morning, works just like it does on the white and black boxes 🙂

@schnapps yes I agree with you about the PQ, couldn't see any difference between the ATV and the new box now that it's 50hz

Anonymous User
Not applicable

got my new box today. so far all good.  love the size of the box.

|However I have gone back to my Xbox 1 to watch tv (freeview) - because until they bring out a now / next type functionality or proper tv guide then basically what we have now is just a list of channels.  Takes forever to scroll to bbc1 hd etc.  At least update it so we can add 'favourite channels' so we can get to them easier without having to scroll through everything...