cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Max connections via Ethernet

Hi

i just wasted 2 days trying to get my imac and smart TV connected to my Nowtv Broadband hub but it wouldn’t connect, i tried everything , changing cables , switches all settings in imac etc but I accidentally discovered I can only connect 4 devices via Ethernet ??

surely I should be able to connect as many as I want ?

I won’t  be using them all at the same time , but I would like the option to connect more than 4???

8 REPLIES 8
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Is there some reason you can’t connect both devices by WiFi?

But if not, then from Curry’s, Argos, Amazon, or your electrical retailer of choice, source an Ethernet switch, 8 ports, say, plus one extra Ethernet cable.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/network-switches/tp-link-tl-sg1008d-network-switch-8-port-10137897-pdt.html

Connect the switch to one of the ports on the router. 

You will then have the equivalent of an eleven-port router for not much over £20 extra.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I can connect wit WiFi but it’s weak and the TV drops all the time. 

I already have a switch but it’s you can still can only connect with 4 devices , if you can half 6 plugged in , the router picks the first 4 and blocks the other 2, 

if I unplug 2 devices , then the 2 that didn’t work now work. 

it’s as if the Nowtv router with only authorise 4 devices at a time no matter how many you have plugged in ( via an Ethernet switch )  

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I see.... that’s bad.

You can phone NowTV if you have a problem with their broadband, so I suggest you call them to discuss this, on the number you will find under My Account/Broadband & calls/Moving Home (even though you aren’t moving, it’s still the number you want).

And please report back with what they say; hopefully a fix rather than a knock back.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I haven't experienced any problems with my NowTV Hub Router Two connected with an external 8 port unmanaged Ethernet switch.

Port 1 on my NowTV Hub is connected directly over Ethernet to My BT 4K Youview Box, where Port 2 is connected to my Trendnet 8 port Gigabit Ethernet switch where all eight ports on the Hub switch is used on various Ethernet connected streaming devices.

I have never tried using all eight internet devices at the same time plus my Youview box, but i have never come across the NowTV Hub Router blocking any of my Ethernet ports.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi thanks for the reply ?

this is odd then 

but my imac and smart tv wouldn’t connect at all , even when I took them both right next to the router and plugged them straight in , but when I disconnected another TV I was able to connect them ?

i currently have 4 devices on Ethernet , I’m pretty sure if I connect a 5th it would allow it to work ?

do Nowtv customer helpline read this forum ?

would they reply ? 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My Trendnet 8 port unmanaged Ethernet box was plug & play where i didn't have to do anything in the NowTV Hub Router settings.

The 8 port switch has been working perfectly fine for nearly two years now since i joined NowTV Broadband.

Sorry i couldn't offer any advice how to resolve your situation where i am assuming you have already tried holding in the reset button on the back of the NowTV Router for about 10 seconds to see if that kicks everything into life. 

Also i am assuming your Ethernet Hub switch is unmanaged ?

Perhaps post the make and model number of the Ethernet Hub switch where maybe another owner of this particular switch will have some ideas to try.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The NowTV Live Chat regard us as a filter for issues we customers can solve, and as a signpost for those we can’t.

Above, I told you how to contact official NowTV helpers , which I suggest you now do.

It looks, from what @schnapps is saying, that the limit of four devices you are encountering is not universal, so they may have some insights for you into this.

ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB  @Anonymous User  @schnapps 

You know guys

It's more than likely that's PD's hub is faulty and should be exchanged as quickly as possible, while still under guarantee, for a new one.

UK Bob