cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Keep getting calls from "Sky" about my internet performance

Hi, I keep getting calls to my landline (no one has this number) from someone who states that they are calling from Sky technical support and that my internet is not running properly.  They have taken me through certain steps to apparently resolve, then ask me to download a programme which I then discovered was to allow remote access. My laptop wouldn't download this (luckily) and I'm worried it's a scam. I have tried to get in contact with NowTv to see if this is legit but this seems an impossible process. Anyone else had anything like this?

6 REPLIES 6
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User this is indeed a scam. Never ever download (or attempt to download) anything someone on the phone or via email is telling you to!

Assuming you have an anti virus program installed, run a full scan just to be sure.

You can call NowTV and report this on the number below.

Screenshot_20200729-211843.jpg

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @Saint1976 

Hey Natty C

Broh, you've been targeted by some cleaver scammers, just obey this simple rule: If you didn't report it, just put the phone down coz' they're after your money.  For them scammers, it's easier than working.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. I'd love to know how they got my landline number as the only people that know it are myself and Nowtv! Only had it a month so clearly Nowtv have sold my details to someone??

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Well Natty C

No one can say for sure how your details got into the hands of the scammers but one thing I do know that when I used to work in a very big organisation, and was an anonymous cog, I was contacted by someone completely unknown to me.  I, of course, ignored the communication and subsequent follow ups until they stopped.

I figured the informant was a mole on the inside supplementing their income with a tax free side hustle.  I can guess that most, if not every, organisation, weither small, medium or large, has a mole running some sort of game.

Nowadays, they try to make contact by phone, email, targeted online adverts, letters, etc., claiming to represent a long lost relative, foreign kings/royalty, an insurance company that wants to give you money, and so on.  I just keep ignoring them so that, at the very least, they waste a few pennies, so maybe one day it'll all add up.

UK Bob

noeyedeer
Scholar 2

oh dear, definitely a scam. i've been getting dozens of calls saying the same, except they say there is a problem with my BT internet. i don't have BT internet, phone or anything, so in my case it was obvious it was a scam.

I've also had numerous emails supposedly from paypal and natwest, i use both so i could have fallen for those as they looked legit at first glance. Fortunately i'm a qualified computer engineer and i've seen a zillion scams so i always triple check everything, even if they have my correct name and address. It's very important to be vigilant against these people. 

The antivirus i use is avg free, but it does come up with a lot of nonsense to try to make you pay for subscriptions. It's a good safe antivirus, but if you use it then don't pay for anything from them unless you're sure you need it. They're all extras that are usually unnecessary. The free basic antivirus check should be sufficient. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@noeyedeer 

I can definitely concur on AVG.

UK Bob