Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Ideas for NOW TV - Allow Roku Media Player to be installed on the NowTV boxes

@Anonymous User

Hi JJ

I've just read your post over in the "Ideas Section", and I must point out that you have made some points and queries that require some clarification.

I will try to answer your questions in the order they were asked.

You first asked, "So what's the point of the included SD slot and USB port?", Well, the Now TV black box and the Roku 3, which the black box is cloned from, are made in the same factory and it would not be economically viable to remove those ports.

You also mentioned, "...it seems bizarre to sell a product with ports that can't be used - especially as some adverts for the device specifically mention these ports."  Yes, it does seem bizarre but you have to remember the black box is sold at a cut down price and is primarily a vehicle to deliver Now TV content and nothing else. As for the "adverts" they are mistaken because the writer did not check the specs just copied the Roku 3 specs, which has fully functioning ports.

Finally, you suggested, "So I vote for a Plex or similar media player to be added ASAP." This is never going to happen, i.e. such a facility would introduce more"user choice" to the Now TV black box and, as such, take custom away from their offerings.

UK Bob

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Is it worth selling my NowTV box in favour of a Roku 3?
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Let’s break the question into two parts:

Is it worth buying a Roku instead of the Now device based on it?

Yes, if you want the extra apps on the Roku, including perhaps Amazon Prime Video without having to buy a separate device for that.

• A Roku 3 particularly? Perhaps not, as that is an older Roku device; I’d get a current one.

But if you’ve been offered a second-hand one, then it depends at what price, and which NowTV box you have, and what you are being offered for that.

Maybe the quiet listening headphone socket on the remote is valuable to you, if it has this?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @RoyB  @Anonymous User 

Hi Davey

I'm not going to answer your question directly but instead pass on two bit's of information:-

1) Roku are about to release it's 2019 line up of streaming devices for the UK market in early October, check out the following URL for further info.

https://newsroom.roku.com/press-release/press-releases-uk/roku-announces-new-streaming-player-line-uk

2) As I've mentioned before, I use a Roku 3 but I did not mention that I also use it to play my digital albums, which is something Now TV's black box cannot do.

To conclude, Roku's devices can do more than just play TV apps/channels.

UK Bob

tothbros
Scholar 2

the thing which is kind of a shame is that all these new devices are wifi only. the last roku in the uk market with ethernet connection was the roku 3. i know these newer routers and wifi protocols are better than before, but still, for hd (or even 4k) video streaming, especially when its a live tv channel, a wired connection provides a much more stable and reliable signal. i get it that a small stick is more appealing to sell then "oh, i need to buy yet another set top box", but there really should be a better balance between looks/design and usability. also its a shame that the private listening function was moved from the remote to the smart phone app, which is way fussier than just sticking your headphones into the side of the roku remote.