cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How to block a device

Could you tell me how to block a device. I have changed my password but they keep using it, I have no idea who it is..

Thanks 

21 REPLIES 21
starman73
Elite

One way I have found to block a new device is to fill all the device slots and leave no changes available.  

A slight problem these days is you get three changes a month so you have to remember to swap the devices at the start of the month.

However nothing to explicitly stop a particular device.

Surprised changing password didn't stop it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I only have 4 devices to put on it. I can have 6. Is there any way to
change that
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I only have 4 devices to put on it. I can have 6. Is there any way to change that?

@Anonymous User What are your four devices?

Is one a PC/laptop?  If so, then you may be able to trick the account into thinking you have extra devices by using the Now TV app and also by using the account in different browsers (Chrome, IE, Edge, Firefox).  However, I have never tried this, so I can't be certain it will work, but it is worth a try to ensure there are no empty slots that others can use.

RoyB
Legend

It’s irrelevant.

If you set up six devices and somebody has access to your account, they can simply remove one, and then add their own.

If not this month, because you have used up your three changes, then next.

If you think your account is still being breached, even now, then change your password again.

My advice is above; if you can’t take it, or you think it will be unsatisfactory, please tell me how, and I will look again at it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @RoyB  @Anonymous User  @starman73 

Char & Fellas

I find it a bit of a mystery when Char said, "I have changed my password but they keep using it...".  The only way someone can keep using a changing password is if:

1) You write it down and it gets found.

2) You tell somebody, i.e. a secret shared is no secret.

3) Your password is easily guessable.

Personally, I have found that usually an eight or more digit password consisting of a combination of letters, numbers and non-alphanumerical characters, which is not shared, are usually unguessable.

Therefore, unless you are dealing with a "computer hacking genius" I don't get how this miscreant can constantly find out your passwords when changed.

I believe that when this "mystery" is understood then a solution can be applied.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did write “Surprised changing password didn't stop it."

I provided a means of preventing a device being added. Making sure there are no available changes does that. 

PS - why can’t i quote anymore?

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @RoyB 

Hey CE

Yes, you did say, "I provided a means of preventing a device being added. Making sure there are no available changes does that". 

Well, Roy did answer your statement, which to me seems logical and right. However, if you think Roy is wrong then please explain why?

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy I wasn't responding to Roy. I was making the point in my initial reply that I had stated I was surprised the password had not stopped the new device been added. And I stated there was no way of explicitly blocking a device which was the question.  If I could quote that would have been clear, instead of this thing that I appear to be disagreeing with people when I am not.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy I wasn't responding to Roy. I was making the point in my initial reply that I had stated I was surprised the password had not stopped the new device been added. And I stated there was no way of explicitly blocking a device which was the question.  If I could quote that would have been clear, instead of this thing that I appear to be disagreeing with people when I am not

One question springs to mind regarding someone piggybacking on your internet connection (how did they gain access to it in the first place) was this a case of misguided good intentions and now they are just ripping the p### out of it. One thing you should never do is allow someone access to your internet connection unless you can trust them totally.If you can not be guaranteed what they are going to use it for (downloading illegal content) you will be held responsible and could be cut off from your ISP.