Not applicable

Help

My now tv is showing pop ups its so annoying how do I remove them

16 REPLIES 16
ukbobboy
Legend

@Saint1976  @Anonymous User  @RoyB  @Simon-J  @gavs82008 

Hey Guys

I've a new smart Samsung TV and was very surprised to see this morning, for the very first time, an Adobe advert pop-up in the bottom left hand corner of my screen.

It's not a problem and was easily dismissed, I thought no more about it until I read this thread, i.e. see, learning something new every day  😊 .  

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

I don't own a Samsung Smart TV, but i did read this internet article about Samsung are forcing more adverts onto customers who have their televisions.

Don't know if it's just adverts on the main home screen or pop ups whilst watching content which would be extremely annoying 😡..

Also don't know if you can manually disable these unwanted adverts by going into the Samsung TV menu General settings.

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/samsung-adds-ads/ 

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps 

Cheers Schnapps

I was totally unaware of Samsung's new "revenue making" policy, and when this Adobe advert popped-up I saw it more as a curiosity than anything else. 

Anyway, when changing from an online channel to a terrestrial one the online channel apps automatically appear in a single continuous row along the bottom of the screen. It is here, in a newly created second row, that the advert appeared but, along with the channel apps, it was easily dismissed.

At the time of writing this post, I have not seen any more adverts pop-up here or anywhere else.

UK Bob

RoyB
Legend

@Saint1976 

Thanks - I didn't know that, and mine doesn’t do it.

But wouldn’t that make it a bugger to watch Freeview?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Saint1976
Elite 3

@RoyB Freeview is counted as a signal (just not one that's delivered via HDMI) so the ads won't normally appear or trigger the eco mode and switch off after 2 minutes BUT the TV will switch off after 4 hours without any input on the remote (another EU regulation).

It's set up this way as most stores won't have a terrestrial/aerial signal, instead running a single demo video via an HDMI distribution box from a PC or DVD player.

I just put one of my TV's in store mode so you can see the ads running over the NowTV box (playing BT Sport). Then if I pull the HDMI cable out I just get 'no signal' and the TV will power off after a couple of minutes.

OP will have to confirm what make of TV they have but as you said, it's simply changing a setting that will probably be buried deep somewhere.

IMG_20201028_211231.jpg

IMG_20201028_211337.jpg

ukbobboy
Legend

@Saint1976  @RoyB 

Hi Saint

Those adverts not only are intrusive they also look horrendous, if that's the future of TV we have to look forward to then count me out.

UK Bob

Saint1976
Elite 3

@ukbobboy those ads/pop ups are only designed to be used when the TV is on display in a shop. The problem is some new TV's have the 'store mode' on as a default and it's up to the user to switch it off when they set up the new TV.