cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Google play movies and tv support on NOW hardware (via YouTube app)

Hi all

While there is no Google play movies and TV app on Now hardware what I'm talking about here does does nevertheless relate to this Now hardware

As Google are going to be withdrawing support for their Google play movies and TV from most smart TVs and Roku in June , after which any movies and TV shows purchased on the Google ecosystem will have to be accessed through youtube. See the link below

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/samsung-lg-vizio-and-roku-smart-tvs-are-losing-a-very-important-mo...

The truth is Now hardware has been able to access your Google play movies and TV purchases via YouTube for years. 😉 As stated in the article at the address above. You will just need to login to YouTube using your Google account details/ or by following steps as directed by the YouTube app on your now hardware.

I'm honestly surprised that Google has not started to withdraw said app before now as virtually all devices that run youtube have been able to do this for the past five years.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
2 REPLIES 2
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 

Yeah I find it a bit strange also why Google have removed this app across multiple devices. Have found it to be very helpful especially after receiving a fair few codes after family members buying Blu rays. 

That being said bundling it in with YouTube is a sound idea and perhaps another way of “boosting” YouTube TV which as taken off well in the US? 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@gavs82008 wrote:

@commanda6 

Yeah I find it a bit strange also why Google have removed this app across multiple devices. Have found it to be very helpful especially after receiving a fair few codes after family members buying Blu rays. 

That being said bundling it in with YouTube is a sound idea and perhaps another way of “boosting” YouTube TV which as taken off well in the US? 

@gavs82008 . Well actually this does make quite a lot of sense. Why would you maintain two sets of apps if they can both do the same thing from a support point of view that just makes no sense.

As far as I know, though Google play movies and TV will be maintained on android and android TV for the time being until the app can be replaced with Google TV. I assume it is because the app on android powered devices be it a small or large screen device can make use of android specific functions.

To be honest, if Google operated the basic business logic, this would have probably happened a long time ago, but Google is that large that they don't always operate in accordance with logic. I have been able to access my play movies and TV library via YouTube since the old Now black box and people have been able to purchase movies through YouTube for the past couple of years at least.

If I remember correctly. YoutubeTV is actually a separate site to standard youtube. To be honest, even if we could subscribe and have access to it in the UK, I wouldn't as the price of it is ridiculous and is apparently supposed to be much cheaper than pay TV in the US. If that's their idea of cheap I think they're living on another planet. YoutubeTV is really the US equivalent of Now and TV player in the UK

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.