cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Geo blocked - when a UK address isn't a UK address...

...at least, according to Now TV's system.

I keep having problems with my account. Every few weeks when I try to watch something on Now TV, the service will stop working. On most of my devices it'll just report an error. On my Apple TV, it says 'Error: Content geo blocked (1301)'.

Once when this happened, I managed to get through to someone on the chat help pages who vaguely knew what the problem might be. It appears that Now TV think that my home's IP address is not in the UK.

My IP address is static. It never changes, no matter if I reboot my router or not. It's registered by Independent Fibre Networks Limited, and every 'what is my IP?' website I can find clearly says that the IP is within the UK.

Yet once every few weeks, Now TV's system thinks I'm outside the UK and blocks me from accessing the service I'm paying for.

And, here's the kicker: the one time I raised this with support and got the person who knew what the problem might be, they told me that Now TV cannot do anything about this. They cannot update their database with information that says that this IP address is in the UK.

This... is pretty rubbish. 

I'm having this issue once again. I've got it flagged on chat, and it's apparently case number 01016027. I'm being promised an email from support to resolve the issue. I'm dubious.

Is anyone else stuck having the same issue??

23 REPLIES 23
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Yeah I appreciate that, but it's likely an issue with whichever lookup process NOW TV use isn't reporting your location accurately enough. For instance I'm in Yorkshire but on iplocation.net currently one lookup service thinks I'm in Slough! We do get odd reports on the forum from time to time and a new IP usually solves it. I'd recommend turning your router off for 15 mins whilst you are busy doing something else and see if it helps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy that's fixed it now! Turned it off for 20 mins to be on the safe side and now working correctly.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same issue, getting massively irritated they make it my problem. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Try updating your payment details with the same method. 
This has happened a couple of times to me, it got resolved weirdly when I updated the card details and it was working again.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help