cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Geo blocked - when a UK address isn't a UK address...

...at least, according to Now TV's system.

I keep having problems with my account. Every few weeks when I try to watch something on Now TV, the service will stop working. On most of my devices it'll just report an error. On my Apple TV, it says 'Error: Content geo blocked (1301)'.

Once when this happened, I managed to get through to someone on the chat help pages who vaguely knew what the problem might be. It appears that Now TV think that my home's IP address is not in the UK.

My IP address is static. It never changes, no matter if I reboot my router or not. It's registered by Independent Fibre Networks Limited, and every 'what is my IP?' website I can find clearly says that the IP is within the UK.

Yet once every few weeks, Now TV's system thinks I'm outside the UK and blocks me from accessing the service I'm paying for.

And, here's the kicker: the one time I raised this with support and got the person who knew what the problem might be, they told me that Now TV cannot do anything about this. They cannot update their database with information that says that this IP address is in the UK.

This... is pretty rubbish. 

I'm having this issue once again. I've got it flagged on chat, and it's apparently case number 01016027. I'm being promised an email from support to resolve the issue. I'm dubious.

Is anyone else stuck having the same issue??

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've given uplooking for the chat line as there doesn't appear to be a working link! I cant email as there;s no published email address, only a link which doesnt work on my PC.

I need to know if I can watch NOW TV in Spain?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I need to know if I can watch NOW TV in Spain?

@Anonymous User no you can only watch NOW TV whilst in the UK

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Watch-NOW-TV-abroad

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
@Anonymous User no you can only watch NOW TV whilst in the UK

And sometimes, not even if you're in the UK!

Still waiting for that email solution, incidentally...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

HI @Anonymous User,

Sorry to hear about the problems you've been experiencing.

We're not currently seeing your IP address as being outside the UK so it's possible that the occurrence doesn't originate with us. The fact that you had this before and could then watch again appears to back this up somewhat. 

Perhaps another community user could suggest some possibilities?

Additionally, have you contacted your Internet Provider to enquire as to what could cause this?

Thanks,

Rich

The NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

HI @Anonymous User,

Sorry to hear about the problems you've been experiencing.

We're not currently seeing your IP address as being outside the UK so it's possible that the occurrence doesn't originate with us. The fact that you had this before and could then watch again appears to back this up somewhat. 

Perhaps another community user could suggest some possibilities?

Additionally, have you contacted your Internet Provider to enquire as to what could cause this?

Thanks,

Rich

The NOW TV Team

Where are you getting my IP address from? The post above? That was posted from my work computer, so will have a different IP address compared to my home network. This post is from my home though so shows my current IP.

Yes, I've contacted my ISP. They confirm that the problem's with your system, and illustrate that by showing how BBC iPlayer, Netflix, iTunes, and loads of other websites all show my location as being in the UK.

And...

I'm still waiting for an email form the tech team...

...and I've just tried again and I'm still getting the geo blocked 1301 error.

Poor, no?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch, sorry to hear this is still plaguing your viewing. I will send you an e-mail now. Please keep an eye out on your inbox.

Cheers

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch, sorry to hear this is still plaguing your viewing. I will send you an e-mail now. Please keep an eye out on your inbox.

Cheers

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Thanks for your email. I've replied with more details.

If anyone's keeping tabs, a reboot of my modem (the device I connect to the internet with, not my wifi router) temporarily resolved the issue yesterday. But here I am today with precisely the same problem, and no amount of rebooting any number of devices on the network seems to solve the problem.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User you're not temporarily using a VPN at home for anything are you? Just seems strange that it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm also having the same issue.

Live in Bristol and i've tried to access SkyStore and it says i can't purchase anything as i am outside the UK.

Help!