cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JordanAris

Fire tv stick

Started my subscription yesterday looking forward to be able to watch loads of films I’ve been waiting for, only to find out that on my fire tv stick (1st generation) the NOW TV app says it’s unavailable to download. Gutted. As it’s not a smart tv either I can’t stream it from the app on my phone. Any solutions or does anyone know why it can’t be downloaded? TIA 

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@JordanAris 

The first generation Fire TV stick isn’t supported. Any other generation is however.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-set-top-boxes-streaming-devices-can-i-use-to-watch

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@JordanAris 

As you will need a new Stick to get Now, be sure to look at Roku devices as well as current Firesticks.

Although you may prefer the Firestick interface you are used to, several of us here prefer the much cleaner Roku UI.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

Is it just me or as the UI for the Amazon Fire TV range get more cluttered with adverts over the last year or so?

With that happening it to me has massively slowed the UI down and it is very off putting. Doesn’t help that they constantly need software updates too.

That being said I’m fairly happy with the Sony Bravia YouView TV apart from a couple of apps not having watch live and not having Apple Music is a bit annoying considering the PlayStation 5 does. 
The main thing I like about the Amazon fire stick is having the Ethernet adapter. 

For the past few weeks I’ve been considering on getting an Apple TV box since I already have an iPhone and iPad so I’m already part of the “Apple family”. From what I’ve read is that the UI and device itself is super fast and uncluttered of adverts. However it’s hefty price tag is off putting.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 

I just went and looked at my ‘sacrifice’ TV, an old 32” HD Samsung in the snug, to put my freebie Firestick Lite on it to try, and somewhat to my surprise, found a NowTV stick attached to it, which means I can now chip in on Now Stick questions again. But that’s by the by….

Added the Firestick, can’t pair the remote. Can’t pair an identical (I think) remote I already have either, so there’s a job for tomorrow. If I ever get it working, I’ll have a look at the current UI.

I used to like the old Apple TV boxes -still got them, but one doesn’t work, and that is down to a hardware failure. Great boxes, though.

I do have one of the current 4K boxes, 64GB, and it’s very nice indeed, slicker than any Stick. But is it worth three times the price of one? Hmmm… And of course, Now on it is tragic. Glad I have it though.

Amazon are having an event in a day or two, so I’ll snag me a Max, as long as the price starts £3n.nn or less 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 

The Firestick Lite works much better with its matching remote than with the Gen 1 remote I was trying to pair it with 😛

But boy is the UI a mess. Mixed-up programme lines and App lines, at the top, followed by row after row of programmes chosen for seemingly random reasons, in random order with no obvious logic to the sequence, some rows sponsored, some not, some Prime, some Freevee, some need payment, all rentable, some you can buy, some you can’t, suddenly a whole new row of Apps, and then back to the programmes.

The Prime Video app is the same, except that at least there all the rows are programmes, but again the sequence seems to have no logic.

So the Firestick UI looks like they took Prime Video, found they needed to get in a lot of Admin stuff and all these app rows, apps you have, apps we want you to have, apps we just thought of, and tossed it all together with electronic salad servers.

After that Roku, and to a lesser extent Now, is like a drink of cool water.

Know the best bit? Amazon picked a name for the Lite, ‘Roy’s Firestick’. To tell it from the other 7 Fire devices I apparently own, only four of which I can find.

I thought it would be good to put Lite in the name. Could I do it? Sure I could. All I had to do was go onto Amazon, find an obscure line at the bottom of the page, find another obscure line on the page that opened, navigate the third page I hit, and find the Lite, by the name that Amazon had arbitrarily given it, and change it there. Then the new name popped up on the About on the Stick on the TV, when I refreshed it.

But could I do this on the device itself? Oh no, that would be far to easy. Amazon do vaguely hint that they know what a complete pain this process is, when they suggest that you make a list of the current device names (by doing an About on each one in turn), and then renaming them one by one in an orderly way.

In practice, it’s not quite that hard, unless you have several of one model; but I seem to have three Gen 2 Sticks that I can’t tell apart as easily as I can tell them from the Cube 😢

Ho hum….