cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

Film4 arrives on All4

Just came across this bit of news this morning. 

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/10/film4-arrives-on-all4.html

Although not normally many blockbusters on Film4, but handy nonetheless if you have a All4+ subscription to watch without adverts.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not much to talk about on Sky Cinema either if I'm being honest. At least Film4 movies are FREE, or at most £3.99 if you take out All4+ 😀

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Your bang on the money there about Sky Cinema. Personally I don't remember the last film we watched on the movie pass. Must have been either a month or 2 months ago. 

If it wasn't for the Black Friday deal I got last year, I would consider ditching the pass. Whereas at least with Netflix and Prime you get both TV and film for your buck. Over the past few months Prime seems to have upped their game with content. 

Although we do occasionally rent a movie if its not available to stream across Netflix/Prime/Now TV. 

Even with 1080p finally making its appearance shortly, it might not be enough for me to think I really need to pay for the movie pass, even at a discounted rate! Especially if I can rent the film for £2.5 on Prime.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Hello sir, long time no speak! Hope you are doing well with your recovery, which I am sorry to hear that has happened. 

Some bit of news which I found very interesting, although with a huge pinch of salt. Is that All4 will possibly be getting a upgrade to HD.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/comment/95035969#Comment_95035969

If and a big if it did happen,which I do actually see it happening, it is most likely down to the launch of BritBox which is also in HD. My guess is sometime in the new year, based on the BritBox deal. 

https://www.ibc.org/publish/britbox-launches-in-the-uk-with-c4-deal/5181.article

Again if it does happen due to BritBox, then surely ITV should be following suit with the ITV hub in terms of HD?

Because lets face it the picture quality on the hub compared to Amazons version is dire. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

Recovering slowly but steadily thank you. I'm blessed to have a good family around me 😀

My understanding initially was All4 going HD was aimed towards the Britbox app. You would imagine it would need to be HD to make an impression on Britbox.

I paid for 12 months of ITV Hub+ which is of better quality picture wise than the free version, but nowhere near as good as the BBC iplayer.

In this day and age all catch up content should be at least 720p to prise us away from recording shows which are broadcast natively in HD.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

That's great to hear your on the mend! Family is important, despite how much they might drive us insane 😂

So having contacted All4, they have pretty much confirmed that HD is coming. In fact the response I got was stating that select content will only be available for now and that HD will be across all the platforms, no ETA on that though. Still great news nonetheless. 

When I watched a couple of rugby games I compared them with ITV hub and on Freeview HD. Whilst ITV hub was very watchable, it was a stark difference between Freeview HD. 

But yes I agree, all catch up and Live streaming via All4 and ITV should be at least 720p. The full 1080p would be ideal.