cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ethernet Ports

How do I get an extra ethernet port for my router? Thank you. 

8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NowTV / Sky was a bit mean when it comes to only providing 2 number Ethernet ports on the back of their Hub 2 router (four ports would have been a lot better if you ask me).

With my NowTV Hub 2 router in my home setup i need to accommodate approx 7 number Ethernet connected devices.

What i use is a Trendnet unmanaged Ethernet Gigabit 8 port switch (older model to this unmanaged Ethernet Gigabit switch from Amazon).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C2H0YUA/ref=twister_B07CM8Z2VS?th=1 

They usually come in 5 port, 8 port, 16 port and 32 port options where if you look on places like Amazon or Ebay are offered by various manufacturers such has Netgear, TP Link, Zyxel etc.

Don't spend silly money, i would say around £15 to 20 should get you a decent unmanaged Ethernet Gigabit switch (unless you need a 16 or 32 port switch).

The are virtually plug and play where you connect one Ethernet cable between the NowTV Hub Router and the Ethernet Gigabit switch, then run all your Ethernet cables from your devices into the Gigabit switch.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can I use my old Netgear router and it's extra enthernet ports or do I have to use a switch device?

Thanks

RoyB
Legend

You can - see here.

Me, I could do that as I have a box of old routers here, but I ponied up my £20 at Curry’s for ease and neatness.

You can’t beat free as a price, though Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for reply, do I have to reset the old router?

only I now have connection to Now broadband router and the old netgear router?

Is it possible to use either wireless connection?

Thanks for any advise

RoyB
Legend

Hi

What you do is click (or tap on a mobile device) on the ‘here’, (the underlined blue shows that it is a link) in my original reply, and the full instructions will appear on a new window that opens in your browser.

You might want to print it out for ease of following, but it will tell you, step by step, exactly* what you need to do to turn your router into a switch.

Good luck!

*I think exactly, as the instruction look pretty generic to me, but there might be the odd thing where your router differs slightly. If this causes any difficulties, try Googling ‘turn aaaa bbbb into a switch’

where aaaa is the make, and bbbbb the model, of the router you want to convert, and see if there are more specific instructions to be found.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for help.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I tried 2 versions of the TP Link Switch (TP-Link TL-SG1008D and the TL_SG105E) and neither have worked with the NOWTV package.

However both worked perfectly fine (literally did plug and play) on a Virgin Media connection.

I tried logging into the router and amending IP addresses but the router doesn't appearing to be picking it up as a device and therefore the switch doens't seem able to send any internet.

Therefore if @schnapps says they have they're specific one working, I would try that one and not gamble on the others.

I'm planning to return my TP-Links switches.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Would have thought any unmanaged Ethernet external hub switch would have done the trick (though i am no IT expert).

Did you try going into the NowTV Hub 2 webpage settings and play around with the Ethernet tab settings options ?

I didn't have to do anything on my Trendnet Gigabit switch and left the two settings in standard default under Ethernet Type = Gigabit Ethernet and Energy Efficient Ethernet = Disabled.

I have used my Trendnet Ethernet unmanaged Hub for about 6 years now on both a BT Homehub and NowTV Hub 2 Router and it was a plug & play exercise and hasn't missed a beat.