cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

End of Now maybe in sight

With Sky announcing this evening that the Sky Glass Puck is going to be available standalone later this year. I think it could mean that Now is on it's way out as at that point i'm not really sure what the benefit of Now will be over Sky Glass neither has a contract length. Yes Glass it's a buggy system at moment but it will be patched and lets be honest Now is a janky system depending on method you view it. But Glass is likely to be expanded on as time goes on i'm not sure Now will be. 

Unless they are going be charging like £200 for the Puck which I can't see them being able to do I think this will be my last year on the Now system. 

What are everyones thoughts on this development?

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

I would be very surprised if they don't sell the Puck Box Outright they aren't going make you rent it if it's your main way to watch Sky Glass that would be crazy. You would be paying for a box similar to Firestick/Roku but you would be getting a way to able to do 4K Sky that would be the advantage plus a proper TV Channel selection things that Firestick/Roku can't do yes Glass is a flawed system as you can't record but it still ahead of a Firestick for me.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

What price are Sky going to be able to sell a Puck for that isn’t going to make the people who have been paying £10 a month for one go ‘Hmmm….’?

But I can see that you envisage the standalone Puck as sitting in a sort of middle ground between Sky Glass and Now, where Sky Glass is already a sort of middle ground between Sky Q and Now.

Whereas I see the standalone Puck as Sky Glass without a Sky Glass TV.

It will all depend on what the deal is and what the pricing is; but I doubt if it will have much of an impact on Now.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

They aren't paying £10 a month for the Puck but £10 for the Multiroom feature like how on NowTV you pay £5 a month for Multiroom basically with Boost. They charge you £50 for the Puck as an extra for Sky Glass if you have the TV at present. 

I don't see it as being a NowTV Sky Glass inbetween i see it as Sky Glass as that is what it will be as it will be identical to the Puck Boxes they use for Sky Glass and you don't lose out on anything with those boxes at all.

redchiz1
Champion 2

So presumably, with Sky Glass, you cannot access via other devices, unlike with Sky Q, or NOW?

Hooba
Scholar 3

@redchiz1 I think current Sky Glass customers access the Sky channels through the SkyGo app - so whichever devices that app is available for. As an aside, SkyGo app is supposedly coming to AppleTV - provided the app works properly (esp 5.1 audio) on AppleTV I might go the Sky Glass (puck) route.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Hooba I am not sure, I have just been looking at the spec for Sky Go and Sky Go Extra and there is no mention of Sky Glass on there? And some disgruntled customer comments on Google suggest likewise.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@redchiz1 

My understanding is that some point this year Sky Go will become available on Apple TV and Amazon fire sticks. 

@Anonymous User @Hooba However from what I remember the Sky Go picture was 720p with stereo.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
redchiz1
Champion 2

Interesting @gavs82008 and muddying the waters even more! 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@redchiz1 

No idea where I got Amazon fire sticks from, maybe wishful thinking.

https://www.skygroup.sky/article/sky-to-bring-apple-tv-to-sky-glass-and-sky-q-customers

This press release from last year indicated “first half of 2022” for Sky Go on Apple TV devices.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Hooba
Scholar 3

I think SkyGo currently only available on phones/tablets/PC/Mac - so may explain why only currently 720p and stereo. 

You'd think if they are going to make SkyGo available on AppleTV then they might charge extra for 'big screen' and 5.1? Who knows. Think you can subscribe to Sky Channels from within the SkyGo app without any other sort of contract with Sky. If they had a HD 5.1 SkyGo app on AppleTV I'd probably go that route other than using a Sky Glass puck. 

It seems a bit like lunacy (so might well be the case) for Sky to put out a 720p stereo AppleTv SkyGo app, when even nowTV does 1080p and stereo on AppleTV ....

Either way, Sky Glass through a puck won't work for me unless I can access on other devices in 1080p and 5.1.