cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

End of Now maybe in sight

With Sky announcing this evening that the Sky Glass Puck is going to be available standalone later this year. I think it could mean that Now is on it's way out as at that point i'm not really sure what the benefit of Now will be over Sky Glass neither has a contract length. Yes Glass it's a buggy system at moment but it will be patched and lets be honest Now is a janky system depending on method you view it. But Glass is likely to be expanded on as time goes on i'm not sure Now will be. 

Unless they are going be charging like £200 for the Puck which I can't see them being able to do I think this will be my last year on the Now system. 

What are everyones thoughts on this development?

29 REPLIES 29
redchiz1
Champion 2

Sky Go requires a Sky subscription, it is not available otherwise and the content available reflects the package you are on. Whether it works with Sky Glass I am still none the wiser? 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Hooba 

Sky go is available on PlayStation and Xbox consoles.

Having used Sky go back in the day on the PS4 when I was comparing NOW, the picture which NOW was sharper than Sky Go on the PS4.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

It is sharper I don't think Sky go has really been updated hopefully they will this coming year. I just see Sky Glass is the way forward and the platform will be built upon i was very disappointed when it launched requiring you to have there TV. The Launch of being able to just buy a box to have Sky Glass is very exciting for me as that is what I have wanted for best part of this decade with living somewhere i can't get Sky or Virgin but I do have FTTP.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

If I’m being honest I can see many people taking up the Sky puck for Sky Q. 

For me I’m happy to stick with NOW for now, as I subscribe to ITV and All4 separately anyway for their no ads plans. Plus I’m already subscribed to HBO Max thanks to my parents living in Spain and already subscribed to Paramount+.

As long as NOW get profiles I’ll be a happy man. 
That being said Sky needs to correct their horrific treatment of its NBC shows and get them available the day after the US. Either that or move the shows to Peacock.

RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 

The cadence of your first sentence above suggests that “can” is perhaps a typo for “can’t”?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Go is available to use for Sky Glass Customers as Sky Go will be coming to Apple TV this summer customers will be able to use there Apple TV boxes as a second device to watch on but you will need a Sky Glass Whole Home subscription most likely as you do at present for Playstation or Xbox Consoles. Sky Glass on iPad and iPhone is included for free with any Sky Glass subscription.

To clarify Sky Glass Whole Home Subscription is £10 a month regardless of the amount of devices you have so you could get a second puck [Obviously have to buy that] and have the full Sky Glass Experience or watch on Apple TV for same price and get Sky Go. They may make Sky Go 1080p with it launching on Apple TV I don't know though. 

starman73
Elite

If Sky lose the HBO content and become reliant on their own output, then it could be game over for Sky never mind Now.  The loss of Disney movies has probably had a big effect.  And Amazon are busy picking up MGM and will soon have all the Bond movies.   Sky’s original content has not been particularly successful (though I think Promising Young Woman was a bit of a triumph).

Right now, Sports (well football) , as it always has done,  is what keeps Sky viable, but with the likes of FIFA setting up their own platform, it may not be too long until UEFA and the FA follow suit.  Also there is a lot more competition.

The problem for Sky is their USP is the dish and once that is gone, what makes them any better than anything else? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@starman73 

Amazon closed the deal for MGM last month it passed the regulators as they didn't oppose but there is talk that the FCC in America might try and do something retrospectively but that would be quigmire legally but Amazon now legally own MGM at the moment.

Football is a big part of Sky i agree but so are the other sports such as Golf Cricket and F1. I agree Peacock launch in UK has barely added anything nowhere near the amount of content it could of done and Sky still struggling to even get the NBC Shows on it's platform is a joke. But until 2025 it will be exclusive home of HBO in UK i'm perfectly willing buy a box that will only last me till then.

To be honest i was always surprised the FA never had a channel like the NFL does in America. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Couldn't agree more re the NBC shows on Sky. They are just so bad at bringing the "sister" content over in decent manner. 

Take a look at Germany, Italy and Austria where the NBC shows are added within weeks rather than the dismal months in the UK.

They can use the excuse of "US aire schedule" and "breaks" as much as they want, but if you follow the air dates on IMDB or Wiki then its easy to know when its on next. Whereas here its a guessing game!

If they can move some content from NBC to Peacock which is their plan, then that should hopefully help things here. Like Bel-Air the day after the US which was a nice change of pace. 

Then they decide to double the content with Young Rock for instance on both Peacock and Sky Comedy.

We were promised of around 7,000 hours of content, which I don't think we have hit half way yet. Peacock in the US has all Chicago's and Law&Orders, which would easily ramp up the hours and content. Still there is no monthly updates to what is on Peacock here unlike in the US they realise it each month what is coming. 

redchiz1
Champion 2

So "most of the Sky Glass experience" eh? Really, how many add on boxes do these people think we need? Cannot see much impact on the NOW user tbh.