cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dubious unsolicited calls

Today (26/09/190 I received two (automated) calls to my NOW landline advising ME that there had been unusual activity on my broadband/internet account and that it would be terminated in the following 24 hrs.

I 1471 the callers, the first was repeated as: 014411028141610 and the second was 01731824349. Each call gave an option to "press 1" on my phones keys to be transferred to the "technical" section of my provider.

I contacted NOW and obviously they declared the contacts had not originated from them.

I can only surmise the calls were the start of a attempt to progress some sort of scam, unless anyone else knows to the contrary?

2 REPLIES 2
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

It’s a scam, @Anonymous User I’ve had two today on my landline. I always let my answering machine deal with them. A variation is their claim that your IP address has been compromised and they need access to your router to change it (for a fee, natch). Whatever you do, never press “1”, as most likely the call will be directed to a very pricy premium rate number - which would be their main source of income.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Mark_Weinreb  @Anonymous User 

Fellas

Getting scam calls is all part and parcel of owning telephone nowadays, you see it's easier for these international  criminal organisations to scam people out of their money than set up a proper law abiding company.

So, whenever you get an unexpected call, and you will, then always (always) be on your guard.

UK Bob