cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do you need a tv license for now tv?

Do you need a TV license for Nowtv?

I ask because the nowtv app has a live tv option.

So does this mean that subscribing to nowtv means I now have to get a tv license because the app has live tv?

32 REPLIES 32
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Considering the Live TV option in the Nowtv app is a waste of time as all programs are available on demand and ad free then I don't see why the option is there.

Either they should get rid of the Live tv option or give is the option to disable it.

From what I understand, 'live streaming' can't be removed from the NOW TV service. As it's a mandatory condition laid down by Ofcom - the regulator.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Considering the Live TV option in the Nowtv app is a waste of time as all programs are available on demand and ad free then I don't see why the option is there.

Either they should get rid of the Live tv option or give is the option to disable it.

From what I understand, 'live streaming' can't be removed from the NOW TV service. As it's a mandatory condition laid down by Ofcom - the regulator.

Cheers

Why on earth would that be mandatory?

Are ofcom paid by the BBC?

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

It is what it is @Anonymous User. Ask them!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

It is what it is @Anonymous User. Ask them!

I will. It's disgraceful if it is mandatory. It's like they want to make it as difficult as possible to avoid paying the TV licence.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

...It's like they want to make it as difficult as possible to avoid paying the TV licence.

Exactly. Which elso explains why ITV Hub, All4 and Demand 5 are offering 'live streaming' too!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

...It's like they want to make it as difficult as possible to avoid paying the TV licence.

Exactly. Which elso explains why ITV Hub, All4 and Demand 5 are offering 'live streaming' too!

I've just checked those apps. 

None of those apps on xbox one have Live TV. I'm assuming the Windows 10 apps will be the same.

Only iPlayer and Nowtv have a live streaming option

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I've just checked those apps. None of those apps on xbox one have Live TV. I'm assuming the Windows 10 apps will be the same.

The ITV Hub and All4 apps on my Android tablet offer 'live streaming'...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

I've just checked those apps. None of those apps on xbox one have Live TV. I'm assuming the Windows 10 apps will be the same.

The ITV Hub and All4 apps on my Android tablet offer 'live streaming'...

Maybe there is a different rule for mobiles?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I wouldn't get too hung up about whether or not OFCOM force NOW TV to offer live TV, I wasn't aware that was the case but then again I've not read up on OFCOM rulesand regulations ( if @SeeMoreDigital has a link I'd be interested thanks).

It's a useful feature to have live channels on NOW TV for those that like to watch live channels, giving people the choice and no doubt pleasing the channel providers as they can count extra viewing figures for ad revenue purposes.

But regards TV licensing it doesn't change the fact that if you don't watch live channels on NOW TV (and you satisfy the other requirements of not watching or recording any live TV on any source and don't access any content from BBC iPlayer) then you can choose to declare you don't require a TV licence. Both NOW TV and TV licensing confirm that.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/Live-TV-and-how-you-watch-it
https://help.nowtv.com/article/do-i-need-a-tv-licence-to-watch-now-tv

Legend 5
Legend 5

One thing of note here is that if students watch TV on a device powered by a battery they are covered by their parents licence. So if you are a student don't plug in your laptop and you can watch until the battery runs out.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.