cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do you need a tv license for now tv?

Do you need a TV license for Nowtv?

I ask because the nowtv app has a live tv option.

So does this mean that subscribing to nowtv means I now have to get a tv license because the app has live tv?

32 REPLIES 32
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes that’s correct. No live TV of any sort, no use of the BBC iPlayer, and you are covered.

The word ‘opportunity’ does not appear in the TV licensing rules; it is what you actually do, not what you could do, that matters.

It used to be based on what equipment you had, but it no longer is.

One further tidbit - TV licence investigators have no right of entry, and you can refuse to let them in. Thus rendering what they can or can’t do once they are in academic.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You only need a tv license if you watch Live Tv broadcasts (Football,F1,Horse Racing) all when they are actually taking place. You do not need one for the Live channels that are on Now Tv as the shows they broadcast are not Live they are pre recorded.Also regarding Live Football,F1,Horse Racing if the channel that is broadcasting them has a +1 channel and you watch it on there you do not need a Tv license.The BBC should be made to fund themselves the way every other channel does by selling advertising space.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Thats quite a long way from my understanding of ‘live’ in this context, which is ‘as they are being shown’, whether they are live in your context, pre-recorded, or time-shifted on a +1 channel.

Can you point me to any official documentation that supports your interpretation?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16

You only need a tv licence if you watch Live broadcasts or iPlayer most Tv shows are pre recorded.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16

You only need a tv licence if you watch Live broadcasts or iPlayer most Tv shows are pre recorded.

Direct quotes from the link in the post above

"Where does TV Licensing law apply?

The law that requires a TV Licence for using or installing television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV, or to download or watch BBC programmes, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer applies in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), the Channel Islands and Isle of Man."

As long as you're not watching the NowTV live channels are using iPlayer or using any of the live channel facilities in any other of the catch up apps, then you don't need a TV licence. However, the requirement for a licence is based on whether a program is currently being broadcast. Whether a program is pre-recorded or not does not have any bearing if you're watching a programme while it is being aired on TV channel or what you are recording a TV channel, then you need a licence   to a fine to watch NowTV OnDemand (after broadcast) without a licence

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Thank you for the link.

Have you considered this bit (my boldening in the body text):-

Are +1, +2 and +24 channels considered live TV broadcasts, thus requiring a TV Licence to view or do these channels count as on demand services?

A +1, +2 and +24 channel is a “live TV broadcast” in its own right. The term “live TV broadcast” refers to watching any television programme service as it is being shown on TV. A +1, +2 and +24 channel is a television programme service and anyone watching or recording a television programme as it is being shown on TV requires a TV Licence. This means that you need a TV Licence regardless of which television channels you receive and how you receive them (terrestrial, satellite, cable and via the internet).

which rather holes at least one of your above assertions below the waterline? 

Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi all, @RoyB @commanda6 @Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

Thanks for getting in touch.

We have an article on our Help site which aims to make this as clear as possible.

Generally, if you watch any live TV channels, or use BBC iPlayer, you need to have a TV licence.

On the NOW TV app: the live channels are within the Watch Live sections of the Cinema, Entertainment and Sports Passes, or the On Now section of Kids.

On NOW TV devices - such as the NOW TV Smart Stick - BBC iPlayer, or live channels from apps such as ITV Player and All4 also count.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jason

Anonymous User
Not applicable

+1 +2 +24 channels are not Live broadcasts if Football was on ITV at 3pm and ITV + 1 show the same broadcast it is not Live as you are 1 hour out of sync same rule applies for +2 & +24 channels.As the Tv licence is purely to fund BBC if you don’t watch anything BBC broadcasts you do not need a licence.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The definition of ‘live’ (i.e. not recorded) that you are using is not the definition of ‘live’ (i.e. currently being broadcast) used in TV Licensing parlance, and this is made crystal clear by my posting three above this one, which presents a specific contradiction to what you assert, taken  from the information in the link that you yourself gave.

It is not often that incorrect advice on here can expose someone to a hefty fine, or even a jail sentence, but this can.

So you owe it to your fellow NowTV users to go back, carefully reread everything in the document you linked to as if it was a love letter, and come back with a revised opinion.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

If it's easy to get NowTV on your TV then they still will (for example, if it's built in). They won't care that you don't watch the live channels, they'll say you have the opportunity to watch them so you must pay. Once they are inside they'll try everything to get you to pay for a license and they will try and trip you up. If they see the option to watch live TV they'll choose it and if they can't work your TV they'll ask you to do it and if you refuse they'll threaten warrants, the police and courts along with rediculous costs as you are causing an obstruction.

The first guy who visited me said I needed a TV license because I had a TV ! They've since been again (with the police) but left unhappy because they couldn't get live TV to work.

Been watching videos about the goons on youtube. Saw one goon even plug in an aerial that was uplugged to try and get live TV. 

Seems they are total scum and will do anything to con people into paying.

So it looks like once i've finally got rid of my aerial and satellite box to avoid the licence fee I will also have to cancel my NowTV subscription.

Considering the Live TV option in the Nowtv app is a waste of time as all programs are available on demand and ad free then I don't see why the option is there.

Either they should get rid of the Live tv option or give is the option to disable it.