cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do you need a tv license for now tv?

Do you need a TV license for Nowtv?

I ask because the nowtv app has a live tv option.

So does this mean that subscribing to nowtv means I now have to get a tv license because the app has live tv?

32 REPLIES 32
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User no you don't, but you must not watch live content.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Here's a screen-shot from TV Licensing web site: -

TV Licensing.PNG

Cheers

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

This guide article linked below was taken from the nowtv help centre "When do i need aTV Licence to watch NowTV".

https://help.nowtv.com/article/do-i-need-a-tv-licence-to-watch-now-tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.

It annoys the hell out of me to have to pay a tv license when I never watch BBC or any other live tv for that matter. Wanted to make sure the tv license goons couldn't jump on the fact that I have NowTV and try to fine me.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If it's easy to get NowTV on your TV then they still will (for example, if it's built in). They won't care that you don't watch the live channels, they'll say you have the opportunity to watch them so you must pay. Once they are inside they'll try everything to get you to pay for a license and they will try and trip you up. If they see the option to watch live TV they'll choose it and if they can't work your TV they'll ask you to do it and if you refuse they'll threaten warrants, the police and courts along with rediculous costs as you are causing an obstruction.

The first guy who visited me said I needed a TV license because I had a TV ! They've since been again (with the police) but left unhappy because they couldn't get live TV to work.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi guys,

Interesting thread, but I still don't get if I have to pay for a TV licence or not. 

I am using NOW TV just to watch Sky movies. I don't care about BBC stuff. I have even disinstalled the BBC Iplayer app from the NOW TV box.

I have read a lot of topics online, and all of them say the same thing: you don't have to pay if you are not watching live TV. 
Fine, however, if it's true - as Wizzypop wrote - that you need to pay only because there's an "opportunity" to watch it (sounds like saying that we may all be arrested because we all have an opportunity to kill someone, potentially...), I am just wondering what to do then to continue watching sky movies without paying for something I don't use?

Cheers.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

As mentioned before, here's a screen-shot from TV Licensing web site: -

TV Licensing.PNG

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The short answer to this question is, sadly, yes. By yes i mean if you do not wish to enter into a hugely convoluted situation between statute, policy and law, you MUST HAVE a TV License if you have the ABILITY to watch live TV.

If you would like to enter into a convoluted situation, read on.

TVL agents will always treat you as a liar if you do not have a license. Many will deny this but there is overwhelming evidence to support this claim. Most recently i had a period of 8 months where i did not need a license. I phoned the agency and was assured my explanation was accepted and that would be the end of it. In 8 months i have received 15 letters of increasingly threatening content and a demand that i allow a ENFORCEMENT OFFICER to enter my property.

1. They are not ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS as they hold no office, they are COMPLIANCE AGENTS as such they have no statutory right to caution you despite them doing so and you must state that you DO NOT ACCEPT the caution. At this point, if the police are not already attending, phone them and possibly your Solicitor.

2. If they do have a police officer with them do EVERYTHING the Police request of you, whilst under caution, and you are encouraged to ask questions about your rights, your rights and obligations under the caution and, if the caution proceeds to arrest (very rare if you are conducting yourself appropriately) make sure the offence is clearly stated for the record and that your property will not be searched/entered by the TVL agency without a warrant for such. I have experience of this step as whilst i was in the police car under arrest (an arrest which was "forgiven" later by a Sergeant), one of the TVL agents actually inserted a viewing card from my mantle into the media box in order to render the box capabl;e of receiving Live TV! Make sure your property will be secured and vacated until such a time as a warrant is obtained for search under the offence stated on record.

3. If you've been smart at this stage things will be progressing smoothly and there's been none of the afforementioned unpleasantness. The COMPLIANCE AGENTS will ask to view your TV equipment and any equipment you plug into it on a regular basis. They will ask you to hand them remotes etc. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO ANY OF THIS. If there are already Police present, politely ask them if THEY (the police) are compelling you by law and by what law to do as you are being asked. They will, in most cases if you've asked respctfully and they're good coppers, tell you you are not compelled by law to do anything except allow the TVL agents to go about their business. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HELP THEM PLUG ANYTHING IN AND IF YOU DO YOU MAY WELL IMPLICATE YOURSELF. Another situation i have witnessed.

4. Finally, if you have completed this "visit" in accordance and you have been lucky enough to get a police officer who knows their remit, you will most likely be told by the COMPLIANCE AGENTS that you have obstructed them in their duties and they will be filing for obstruction. Simply restate that you do not understand or recognise their caution as it is not backed by law or the Police officers in attendence (if they're there), that you have complied with everything you are obligated to do under the 2003 Communications Act, and if there are no further matters you would ask them politely to leave. This last step is a bit of a sucker punch for people who have been found rightly not to require a license but have been harrassed and mistreated to the point of allowing these people into their homes. Its like saying, we might not have you for fee dodging but we're gonna get ya anyway. I have yet to hear of any case in which the TVL have successfully proven obstruction in cases where they have been allowed access but refused "help to switch on or plug in the tv".

Just to finish and outline how ridiculously oblique and opaque this organisation are, i recently had need to question their agency for overstepping their legal boundaries and was told emphatically that i had to follow policy regardless of whether or not it was written into statute law which is, of course, ridiculous. I was also lied to about a refund i never got of 18 pounds as, and i quote, "i never bothered to ask". Lastly, it was accidentally revealed to me by one such angry and heated agent that whilst you have proven that you do not lawfully require a license on your property your property will still accrue "arrears". Yes, thats right. They don't tell you you are in arrears so there are no arrears is their official line on the matter. When asked if these "not-arrears" that were live on their systems could potentially affect the credit rating of the property i was told that was something i'd have to take up with Experian, and believe me I AM!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Im also watching NowTV without a license. No BBC and no live shows. That, in my opinion meets the guidance for not having to pay for a TV license. Just wondering if that's was correct in your opinion. I don't agree with the whole 'opportunity' as that's too vague and everyone has the 'opportunity' to watch live TV