cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Malacath
Regular 2

Do you need a tv license for now tv?

Do you need a TV license for Nowtv?

I ask because the nowtv app has a live tv option.

So does this mean that subscribing to nowtv means I now have to get a tv license because the app has live tv?

0 Thanks
32 Replies
4268 Champion 4
Champion 4

Re: Do you need a tv license for now tv?

@Malacath no you don't, but you must not watch live content.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

SeeMoreDigital Champion 5
Champion 5

Hi @Malacath,

Here's a screen-shot from TV Licensing web site: -

TV Licensing.PNG

Cheers

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer, like you! •

LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 65UH770V | Software: 04.31.10 | webOS •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.27.0 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

schnapps Legend 5
Legend 5

@Malacath

This guide article linked below was taken from the nowtv help centre "When do i need aTV Licence to watch NowTV".

https://help.nowtv.com/article/do-i-need-a-tv-licence-to-watch-now-tv

0 Thanks
Malacath
Regular 2

Thanks everyone.

It annoys the hell out of me to have to pay a tv license when I never watch BBC or any other live tv for that matter. Wanted to make sure the tv license goons couldn't jump on the fact that I have NowTV and try to fine me.

0 Thanks
wizzypop
First Poster

If it's easy to get NowTV on your TV then they still will (for example, if it's built in). They won't care that you don't watch the live channels, they'll say you have the opportunity to watch them so you must pay. Once they are inside they'll try everything to get you to pay for a license and they will try and trip you up. If they see the option to watch live TV they'll choose it and if they can't work your TV they'll ask you to do it and if you refuse they'll threaten warrants, the police and courts along with rediculous costs as you are causing an obstruction.

The first guy who visited me said I needed a TV license because I had a TV ! They've since been again (with the police) but left unhappy because they couldn't get live TV to work.

4268 Champion 4
Champion 4

One thing of note here is that if students watch TV on a device powered by a battery they are covered by their parents licence. So if you are a student don't plug in your laptop and you can watch until the battery runs out.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

commanda6 Champion 2
Champion 2

@4268 wrote:
One thing of note here is that if students watch TV on a device powered by a battery they are covered by their parents licence. So if you are a student don't plug in your laptop and you can watch until the battery runs out.

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it but it's true Smiley Indifferent

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Thanks
Mahlbran80
First Poster

Hi guys,

Interesting thread, but I still don't get if I have to pay for a TV licence or not. 

I am using NOW TV just to watch Sky movies. I don't care about BBC stuff. I have even disinstalled the BBC Iplayer app from the NOW TV box.

I have read a lot of topics online, and all of them say the same thing: you don't have to pay if you are not watching live TV. 
Fine, however, if it's true - as Wizzypop wrote - that you need to pay only because there's an "opportunity" to watch it (sounds like saying that we may all be arrested because we all have an opportunity to kill someone, potentially...), I am just wondering what to do then to continue watching sky movies without paying for something I don't use?

Cheers.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
SeeMoreDigital Champion 5
Champion 5

Hi @Mahlbran80,

As mentioned before, here's a screen-shot from TV Licensing web site: -

TV Licensing.PNG

Cheers

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer, like you! •

LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 65UH770V | Software: 04.31.10 | webOS •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.27.0 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •