cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do Sky/Now TV Give Customer Information To BBC TV Licensing?

Maybe only for the mods to be able to answer, but I thought I'd save myself the time of trying to contact customer services with this query, which they probably wouldn't know the answer to anyway.

Does Sky/Now TV pass customer details onto BBC TV Licensing?

Would Sky/Now TV voluntarily surrender this information at the request of BBC TV Licensing? How are Sky/Now TV going to handle the potential change in legislation that will force service providers to hand over private customer details to this third party?

Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Why is this so important for you to know. Don't you have a TV licence?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

A TV Licence is only required if you watch/record live TV. I, and many others are LLF - Legally Licence Free.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

A TV Licence is only required if you watch/record live TV. I, and many others are LLF - Legally Licence Free.

So...

You are implying that you do not or have ever viewed any 'live' streamed content offered by the NOW TV service. Yes or No?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

So...

You are implying that you do not or have ever viewed any 'live' streamed content offered by the NOW TV service. Yes or No?

That is correct. Netflix is my preferred service, I only use Now TV for the odd Sky Atlantic on demand programming. I do not consume any live content, on this service or any other.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The rules could change regarding iPlayer and it could require a licence to use it.

BicBasher
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

The rules could change regarding iPlayer and it could require a licence to use it.

It is changing as part of the licence fee settlement between the Government and the BBC.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.

Presumably the question that is the subject of this topic has arisen from the proposal by the Sentencing Council to impose larger fines on TV Licence fee "dodgers" if they have Sky or other subscription channels (as reported about a month ago, e.g. "bbc tv licence fee dodgers to be fined more if they have sky penalties could be doubled for viewers... )?

As far as I understand it, it's not yet know if & when this proposal will (or will not) be adopted. At present, I don't believe that subcription services provide any subscriber details to TVL by default (but I suppose they would have to do so if forced to by a court order). If the proposal is adopted then I suppose this situation could change, but again my understanding is that as yet nobody knows for sure how or what would happen should the proposal be adopted.

I don't think you will get a definitive official answer on here, you would need to ask the question directly to the corporate side of things.

Clearly Netflix does not do streaming of any live channels. But other services do. Given that NOW TV is contractually obliged to offer live channel streaming in order to also provide catch-up & on demand streaming (and other services like BBC & ITV etc do similar), I can see that it's a bit of a conundrum for those who wish to use streaming services and still be legitimately licence free! I think the previous advice was generally to "cut the cord" from the aerial and/or dish. But streaming via the internet is maybe a different can of worms when it comes to proving/disproving use of live streams.

I'm sure the TV Licence Resistance website & forum can provide more info, detailed analysis & discussion on this subject. Anyway that's my tuppence worth on the subject.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes I welcome the change to make iPlayer licensable. I don't use it and never will, so no loss.