Did you mean: 
Saint1976
Elite 3

Dishless Sky Q potential launch October

7 REPLIES 7
Saint1976
Elite 3

It seems that it's now happening

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/09/skys-uk-tv-via-ip-broadband-service-set-to-launch-this...

Is this the beginning of the end for Now? Or will the contract free option still have enough of a draw to maintain 2 almost identical services?

I'll be interested in the price point of Sky over IP (I'd expect it to be slightly cheaper than conventional Sky without the need for a dish and a scaled down box) vs Now!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Saint1976 

This Express news article was in my Google News feed early part of this week.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1489990/All-New-Sky-Q-Without-Satellite-Dish... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It does very likely seem to be happening a full IPTV version of Sky but if it will be like BT TV where you are forced to have there Broadband as well is still up in the air. I hope that isn't the case as I would defo take it up but my Fibre Internet can only come via one provider. 

I very much doubt this is the end of Now though as they will want to keep that running for BT customer revenue if nothing else plus there is a lot of people who don't want long contracts to watch PayTV which Sky Over IP would be.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

My guess the Sky Satellite and Sky Dishless service will run side by side and you will have to take out a fixed contract for Sky Broadband service has well, where Sky will give you the choice of Satellite or if you don't want or can't have a dish, then you choose the Dishless option if your rather go down the IP route.

Where the NOW streaming service will run standalone like before and you can use any ISP you wish of your choice.

starman73
Elite

Hopefully there will be good offers for new customers, especially with my Virgin contract coming up for renewal in January…

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

I fear that will be the case if i could get Sky Broadband I would as I do want a full Sky Q experience but I just can't have a satellite dish here and stuck with one internet provider I understand the reasoning my wait goes on.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

HI @Anonymous User 

The Express internet article that i posted, seems to suggest a similar (not exact) experience to Sky Q.

Though there are some limitations with Sky IP compared to Sky Q.