cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

Discovery+

So looks like DPlay is getting a full rebrand into Discovery+ with the service getting rolled out on additional devices and platforms in 2020 and 2021.

https://advanced-television.com/2020/10/20/discovery-uk-unveils-discovery/ 

A couple of snippets from the link

'Discovery+ invites viewers to stream their favourite shows from Discovery UK’s portfolio of 13 iconic channels; including pay-TV brands Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, ID, Discovery Science, Discovery Turbo and Discovery History as well as its free-to-air brands Quest, Really, Quest Red, HGTV, Food Network and DMAX'

'Consumers will be able to subscribe to discovery+ directly via web or app purchase for a monthly fee of £4.99 or a discounted annual fee of £29.99 (for a limited period), standard price £49.99 in the UK, or a monthly fee of €5.99 or a discounted annual fee of €34.99 (for a limited period), standard price €59.99 in Ireland, with a 14 day free trial in both markets.'

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous User
Not applicable

will we still get discovery channel catch up with now tv entertainment pass 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will Discovery+ coming to now 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

My guess is no, when Discovery+ launched last year they signed a deal with Sky. However nothing came to NOW in terms of apps, only during summer the Discovery channel got removed from the entertainment membership.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@gavs82008 seems like Sky Q customers will be gifted a years subscription free of charge so it will be interesting what they do with regards to NowTv customers.

I also see other articles are saying Sky with be the exclusive Discovery+ provider so I wonder what will happen to the services on Virgin, Amazon etc.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Saint1976 

That was exactly my thoughts too. Will "Discovery" on Amazon just be rebranded to "Discovery+" and those who subscribe will gain the extra content with TLC etc?

@Anonymous User 

Based on what I gathered as a guess after the 12 month period we will probably see Discovery leave Now TV, unless like the Hayu pass they can do something similar with Discovery+.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i cant see its worth £4.99 i cant see me wanting it i have netflix and now tv entertainment pass and sky sports.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

If they pull the content from Now TV alone, there are a few I know that would get the service. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

Would be a shame if Discovery did leave NowTV but then we don’t get all the channels anyway. Not quite sure why you think we would lose the channel though unless you are suggesting they will do like Disney and move all the channels exclusively there 

True about Hayu I’m not a fan of it but I still don’t understand why it’s not in full HD even after they raised the price of it. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It is a very good point. Personally it makes no sense why Now TV don't have all the channels, its as if they went half in and left the other half dangling. 

Apart from 3 people I don't know anyone with Sky Q as I think its crazily overpriced. 

My assumption was exactly how Disney worked it as they eventually pulled the Disney TV channels from Sky. 

It will be a matter of time for Fox and also the movie channel to do the same. 

Back to Discovery, as a guilty pleasure the Mrs and myself have watched a couple of shows on TLC when I had access to it. So having it in a streaming service will be handy. 

It was good to see the US air dates mentioned. Shame Sky with half the shows couldn't do this.

What I have never understood is why MTV and Comedy Central both owned by ViamCBS don't have the same air dates as the US. That's another conversation entirely. Which I really hope My5 gets replaced with up and coming "Paramount+".