cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Captions

I recently got a now TV stick mainly so I can watch game of thrones,  I'm.progoundly deaf so need to use captions and have captions on my TV all the time, but on now TV they are either not there or very bad and I have the captions option on and have been trying to contact now TV but am getting nowhere as it's just questions and no contact email or live person to talk to

13 REPLIES 13
RoyB
Legend

There is no telephone option - if there were, I think the wires would melt Smiley Tongue

You can talk to a live person (well some of them may be White Walkers, but at least they respond Smiley Surprised) on live Chat, though, which may suit you best as a deaf person.

As regards the GoT subtitles, I can’t help with them being bad (I don’t find them so, but then they just augment what we are hearing, so it may be different if you have to rely on them entirely), there is a current bug which means that setting subtitles, under Settings/Captions/Captions Mode On always, on my Stick doesn’t stick.

So you have to turn them on in each new programme you enter (*, choose the speech bubble bottom right, set English). Which is a pain, though at least they last through back-to-back episodes.

And better than NowTV on my Samsung TV, which doesn’t support subtitles at all, which is why I have a Stick plugged into a TV that offers a native NowTV app Smiley Frustrated

As you are deaf, it may be important to fine-tune the subtitles presentation; there is a huge range of options for this, under Captions as above on my (and your) Stick.

See if any of these help!

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

according to the help article at the link at the bottom of this post.  with the exception of Youview . Subtitles are meant to work on all NowTV supported devices,

The only thing I can suggest is that you fill in the form here to report that they are not working.   

by the way , I think I recognise you from the Youview forum Smiley Happy you're giving good advice. As always. I'm also on the Youview forum but under a different name

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-now-tv-with-subtitles

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
RoyB
Legend

Thanks @commanda6, but the NowTV Help is wrong about subtitles, and my very first post here was on that topic.

Which the redoubtable @schnapps  helped me out with, and once we had identified the issues together, he took them to his contacts in NowTV. 

It’s still not fixed - I checked this morning, when trying to help @Anonymous User - but I figure schnapps’ path to the mothership is better than mine.

You do indeed recognise me from the YouView Community - it’s got so slow over there (which is a good thing of course) that I had to find another outlet, and the NowTV Community is rich pickings indeed Smiley Very Happy

I can’t tell who you are in the YouView Community, as I normally spot people by their idiosyncratic posting style and common grammatical and spelling mistakes, but your written English is too good for that to work. But you can PM me and tell me if you like Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB wrote:

I can’t tell who you are in the YouView Community, as I normally spot people by their idiosyncratic posting style and common grammatical and spelling mistakes, but your written English is too good for that to work. But you can PM me and tell me if you like Smiley Tongue

@RoyB funny you say that my English is too good for you to recognise who I am. Because I'm the person who is known for using dictation software, which of course very occasionally leads to funny but unintended mistakes . Do you know who I am now? If not, I'll send you a PMSmiley Happy 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not sure why you need to know who I am really and I will not be PM-ing you to tell you either.

I've simply asked for help as a subscriber to Now TV and that should suffice.

I find it strange you wanting g to know who I am and very odd indeed.

As for my English , I'm not here to be judged on how I spell , my punctuation or anything else and if ppl can understand me that's all that matters.

I did not realise you needed to attain a degree before posting.

But thank you to those who gave helped or tried to.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My previous post wasn't directed at you. The post was directed at @RoyB  So no need to worry  Smiley Happy

What I think has happened is that you got the forum setup to email you when somebody replies to this topic in my experience it's best to turn off forum emails/email when someone replies. Otherwise, you can easily get swamped with them. Given how busy this forum usually is

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

All of that was aimed at @commanda6 @and not at you.

Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

I have no need of knowing who you are in RL, but the paths of @commanda6 and I have crossed before, he under a different name, and I was intrigued to find out what it was.  

It’s fascinating to to see how the positions are reversed from forum to forum; he on his lofty pinnacle here, and me a mere supplicant; and in the other forum concerned, entirely reversed.

And I don’t judge anyone on their English; it’s more that I recognise people from some of their stylistic tics; e.g. if @commanda6 had used ‘your’ for ‘you’re’, I’d have known instantly who he was.

But he didn’t, and he isn’t that person Smiley Tongue

You can spot me by my predilection for the Smiley Tongue, except that I am boring, and use my real name in most places, to show that I stand behind everything I post. Except in a couple of places where i cloak, but that is to protect others, not myself. And there, you won’t see a sniff of a Smiley Tongue

RoyB
Legend

Hi @commanda6 

Just to report that I tried the NowTV APP on my Samsung TV this afternoon, after our back and forth, and it does indeed now support subtitles. So obviously I have had a stealth automatic update since I last looked at it.

The subtitles weren’t on in GoT S8E1 when I tried it, though that was how I had left them  when last using the Stick, so I guess the bug with the Captions setting affects this app also.

But they turned on just fine when I did the Pause thing and actioned them.

There’s no Settings Menu on the app, so nothing I can change there; perhaps changing how subtitles are to look, on the Stick, will change what the app shows, perhaps not.

Anyway, welcome progress, to have subtitles where there were none before.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same problem here - subtitles/captions have suddenly stopped showing on our Now TV Stick despite the option being enabled in settings. Very annoying!!