cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Buying a new TV

I am currently searching for a new tv and need some help, please.

I use a Roku streaming stick to watch Now TV, Netflix and Prime and want to upgrade my TV to a 4KHD. I spoke to Roku who informed me:

4K UHD TVs
Up to 2160p at 60fps (3840 × 2160) with up-scaling from 720p and 1080p. TV must have an HDMI input that supports HDCP 2.2
4K UHD HDR TVs
Supports HDR10. TV must have an HDMI input that supports HDCP 2.2

Now I know what HDR means and understand the HDMI and HDCP 2.2, which means (I think) I can only get true 4KHD if the TV has HDMI inputs with HDCP 2.2. 

So does Now TV support 4KHD for Sky Cinema, Sky Sports and the Entertainment package via the Roku TV app?  

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The highest quality that you will get on a NowTV entertainment, movie or sports Pass is 1080p non HDR (even when using your Roku 4K player on a 4K TV) when used in conjunction with a NowTV Boost Pass.

Have a read of this. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi and thanks for the reply.
Does this also apply to Now TV via a smart TV app?
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Yep only 1080p HD even using the NowTV App on the Samsung & LG smart 4K televisions when used in conjunction with the additional NowTV Boost Pass. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Here's some further information about the NowTV Boost Pass add on. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
And I take it this will be at the HDCP of 1:4.
Any idea of the fps out of curiosity
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Depending on what external device you are going to plug into the HDMI port, it can either be HDCP 2.2 or 1.4 when using the NowTV App on the external playback device . 

If you are going to buy a new 4K TV with your Roku Stick Plus, then to take advantage of 4K HDR from Apps such has Netflix 4K (if you subscribe to the Netflix UHD premium service) 4K HDR video clips on YouTube and BBC iplayer (4K HDR content where available) and to future proof your self than make sure your new 4K TV is HDCP 2.2 at 60hz.

At the moment only Sky Sports Main Event & Sky Sports Premier League offer 50fps with a Boost Pass.

Be aware that the inbuilt Nowtv App currently on LG smart TV's only supports 25fps with the Boost Pass.

Out of curiosity what 4K TV are you looking to buy?

If you want Sky at 4K UHD then you need to look at the Sky Q Satellite service which is not part of NowTV and is a totally separate service. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I don't know which tv I am going to buy at the moment.
I can't find one with the correct support for the HDMI
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Virtually all newer 4K UHD TV's now support HDMI profile 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 it just depends on the number of HDMI ports that you require that offers full bandwidth.

Some of the cheaper 4K TV's don't give you all HDMI profile 2.0 ports on them where one or two of the HDMI ports may be specified has profile 1.4 only. 

Even my mid range Panasonic 4K TV that is 4 years old now has HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2. 

What you need to ensure is what HDR formats you want from your new television (if you are interested in HDR play back) 

There is so many different HDR formats out there, such has HDR 10, HDR 10 Plus, HLG, Dolby Vision and all your devices in the chain need to be compatible to play a certain HDR format. 

If you are looking at HDMI profile 2.1 which can handle 4K HDR at 120hz then I believe (might be wrong) only the 2019 LG Oled TV's offer it at the moment.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Forgot to mention that HDMI profile 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 is backward compatible so you can plug a device that only works on HDMI profile 1.4 into it.