cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Buying A New TV - Advice

Hi,  I've decided to buy a new TV.  I've narrrowed it down to a Samsung or LG.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Cheers @Anonymous User

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd suggesting getting one with as little bells and whistles as possible.

LED, 1080p with a minimum of 3 HDMIs is all you need. Whatever smart tech you get integrated will be out of date in 6 months and unsupported in two years. You'll want to keep the TV for at least 5. Let the NOW TV box and other future devices be the cheap smart part.

I've had my Samsung 32" F5000 for 18 months and been very pleased with it, my only wish was at least one more HDMI port.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
BicBasher
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

Nice comments @BicBasher. I should add that although I don't really use the smart functions, the WebOS layout on the LG model I have is brilliant, with the apps simple to access and organise. The TV seems powerful enough to run them smoothly as well, which I've had issues with in the past with other models.

Cheers,

Tom

The 2014 Google OS model I have is also very good at handling the apps.  Netflix and Amazon Prime have been seemless.   Also when the boffins at NOW TV get the LG app to work properly, it's the best way of watching the platform as it's supposed to be.

Try the internet browser @Anonymous User and see how it runs playing HTML5 or Flash streams?  I was pleasently surprised with my browser!

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@BicBasher I'll give it a go this evening. I did use the browser on a 2013 model some time ago, but that was a rather low-range underpowered 32 inch model. I'm intrigued to see how well this one performs.

Tom

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

This is probably irrelevant but I am 22 and old fashioned when it comes to TV's. I'm not bothered for HD or the Smart TV stuff (unless NOWTV sort of counts?)

Until recently, I still had my tv from childhood which was one with the fat backs behind it Smiley LOL

My friend showed me her new EETV which just lost me Smiley LOL

This has probably shot myself in the foot but for my birthday I was given a dvd player with netflix built into it which I thought was pretty good but have yet to sign up for netflix itself. 

Anyway, If I were you, I'd go for features that seem useful for you instead of what my idol karl pilkington says about it being 'an accessory' to show off lol.

Also like commando said about your budget being your guide.

That's my advice, not brilliant but it's there Heart

Also my TV is a boring old Hitachii brand Smiley Wink

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@caseyb1993

I feel old now, the TVs from my childhood were all Rediffision and we used to rent themSmiley Surprised

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

Those TV's have always fascinated me, so retro and without all the hassle of today's tech. (I assume?) Smiley Sad

I like watching sitcoms from that TV era Smiley Wink

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@caseyb1993

Now I feel even older!  I remember the neighbours next door but one getting a colour TV and we all sat there in amazementSmiley Very Happy

BicBasher
Elite

My first bedroom tv was a Samsung 14" B&W tv with a big black dial with the UHF numbers on,  which still works to this day as long as it's connected to a Freeview box with an RF modulator.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@caseyb1993

I feel old now, the TVs from my childhood were all Rediffision and we used to rent themSmiley Surprised

I'm old enough to remember when colour TV started in earnest Smiley Surprised My parents rented our televisions from DER. Which probably wasn't such a bad idea, as when they finally decided to upgrade to a colour set in 1972, the bloody thing was forever breaking down... The DER repair-man's name was Barry Smiley Very Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

LG is all I buy!!! 👍🏻 (never had a problem with any of em) 👏🏻

you can get a 42inch for pretty cheap these days!!! 👍🏻

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@BicBasher I've just given the browser on my TV a go on YouTube, and I'm very impressed! The new style Magic Remote gives much better control - I find it far easier to point and type with. And the TV itself displays web pages really nicely, and plays back video superbly.

Cheers,

Tom